Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #1

Share |

please help - tulips

hi all,

i planted about 50 tulip bulbs next to the front door in fall 2010. in spring 2011 i saw some nice tulips and in fall 2011 i took the bulbs out and found some small tulip bulbs formed next to the orginal bulbs. i planted about 4/5 of the bulbs in the same place next to the front door and the rest 1/5 of the bulbs right across and under a tree. This spring, the 1/5 under the tree are growing just fine (i saw stems, leaves, and flowers). but the 4/5 next to the front door are just not showing up at all! except for three very thin leaves (out of about 40 original bulbs and many newly formed small bulbs). does anyone know what went wrong?

i tried to google but couldn't find much information except that if the soil does not have good drainage the bulbs could be rotten. but my bulbs were in the same place before when growing just fine. so i don't think drainage is a problem here. another thing i can think of is that i used to plant the bulbs too shallow so the stems were not straight and the flowers were touching the ground. last fall when i replanted the bulbs i tried to plant them deep. later i added 3 inches cedar mulch on top. they might be about 1 feet deep. is it too deep for them to come out?

diybeginner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

please help - tulips

Give them until next year. It usually. takes one season for them to do their thing. Also with this past Winter, plants that are normally dormant for longer periods, started blooming in February.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

please help - tulips

Sounds like you re-planted too deep. Also, bulbs need a cold snap as part of their growing cycle and it was warm most places. In California, I used to shock them in the fridge. And if I were you, I would dig up a few to make sure they did not rot or get hit by insects. While tulips will usually bloom from year to year, the bulbs seem to lose their strength over time.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #4

please help - tulips

I agree they are too deep. However I don't know if they will still survive or not.
fuzzmanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #5

please help - tulips

thanks all! i guess it's a combination of planting too deep and having a warm winter. So the bulbs didn't experience freezing winter and couldn't sprout in spring. I'll wait till next spring and if still nothing comes out i'll declare casualty and go buy some more bulbs to start over.
diybeginner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

please help - tulips

Quote:
Originally Posted by diybeginner123 View Post
thanks all! i guess it's a combination of planting too deep and having a warm winter. So the bulbs didn't experience freezing winter and couldn't sprout in spring. I'll wait till next spring and if still nothing comes out i'll declare casualty and go buy some more bulbs to start over.
I would wait until your other tulips are done so you have an indicator. Then I would dig the ones too deep out. Dust them with a fungicide/insectiside powder, put them in some breathable material (old pantyhose used to work but women don't where stockings these days), and hang them in the garage or basement for replanting next season. If you leave them in the ground that deep the will probably rot on you.

There are millions of tulips blooming around here. I wonder what happens to them and was thinking of rescuing some. I cannot imagine they get stored from season to season and it will be time to plant other flowers soon.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #7

please help - tulips

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I would wait until your other tulips are done so you have an indicator. Then I would dig the ones too deep out. Dust them with a fungicide/insectiside powder, put them in some breathable material (old pantyhose used to work but women don't where stockings these days), and hang them in the garage or basement for replanting next season. If you leave them in the ground that deep the will probably rot on you.

There are millions of tulips blooming around here. I wonder what happens to them and was thinking of rescuing some. I cannot imagine they get stored from season to season and it will be time to plant other flowers soon.
"rescuing" some?? I know you know enough about gardening that they will be just fine left on their own.

FYI when the bulb flowers are done and you can longer stand the messy sight of the headless foliage, try tying them into a single bunch with a length of twist tie.
Again, I know you know that you can't cut back that foliage. It needs to be allowed to wither on its own as thats what feeds next years flowers
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

please help - tulips

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
"rescuing" some?? I know you know enough about gardening that they will be just fine left on their own.

FYI when the bulb flowers are done and you can longer stand the messy sight of the headless foliage, try tying them into a single bunch with a length of twist tie.
Again, I know you know that you can't cut back that foliage. It needs to be allowed to wither on its own as thats what feeds next years flowers
In California, we had to pull bulbs out each season for them to look decent the next year. And these are planted to far down anyhow. I do agree to let them get what energy they can from the leaf growth but I stand by the recommendation to pull them out and replant in the fall.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #9

please help - tulips

I didn't realize they need to be lifted in warmer places, but I guess thats because they need the dormancy of a cold cycle
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

please help - tulips

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
I didn't realize they need to be lifted in warmer places, but I guess thats because they need the dormancy of a cold cycle
You got it! And again this person has to raise the bulbs at some point since they got planted to deep.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #11

please help - tulips

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post

And you know this how ???????
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

please help - tulips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeps View Post
And you know this how ???????
I may be pre-geezer but still enjoy watching legs. And there are nice ones around me and Lincoln Park.