Planting Bed Around Trees - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,230

planting bed around trees

I'd still like to establish some planting beds around the base of two different types of tree's. The question I have are about how high I can pile up the soil without risk to the trees...

#1) The plan is for Hosta and similar low sun always green at (3) BIG Pin Oak's in clay-ey soil with shallow roots (all bigger that 44" dia btw).

In addition to covering the exposed roots... how high can I pile the soil?
(another healthy tree one has two courses of greens around the base)

#2) The plan is for medium to high sun pretty somethings at several CREPE MYRTLE. No exposed roots on these guys buy same question.
---

Is there a ratio of diameter vs pile angle to = height of dirt pile?
Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 03-23-2012 at 08:36 PM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

Bad idea. One should NOT add more soil to the base of trees

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Bad idea. One should NOT add more soil to the base of trees
Agreed. Very bad idea as you bring all kinds of possibilities like fungus and insects to a part of the tree not naturally able to deal with them.

I would test the Ph of the soil at the base of your trees and adjust the top few inches if need be. Plant in the soil that is there or dig it out and ammend, then plant. Hostas seem fairly adaptable (although we never had them in CA because the snails would eat them off at ground level). Impatiens always surprise me and believe it or not strawberries---ornamental or for real---have nice blooms and of course fruit. Other ground covers a possibility or do you want annuals or perennials?

Your other option would be to build some well draining planter boxes to go around the trees but with no soil touching them directly.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote