Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Planning my flower bed

Does anyone have a good flower bed plan? I don't know what kind of plant to put where, so that when they grow taller everything looks good and the plants in the front don't grow taller than the plants in the back. I have a huge front flower bed with plenty of room. I'm just not sure what to do with it.

bawilliams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,398

Planning my flower bed

Rule #1 - Flower beds are dynamic....always changing
Rule #2 - Your not going to get it perfect the 1st time
Rule #3 - See rule #1

Seriously......just go to a nursery and start looking around....HD or Lowes is also an option...except the people there usually don't know what they are selling....a nursery is going to have someone there who can tell you what does well and when.

You need to plan what you want in the way of annuals and perennials. If you don't know what I mean....time to research.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 654

Planning my flower bed

What state are you in? What direction does this area face, is it shady or sunny? Most plants have signs or tags telling if a plant needs moist or dry conditions plus the height and width and sun or shade. I think a large rock or statue looks good in flower beds.

I google shrubs I buy so I know where to plants the things I like. I keep notes on my plants. Try googling flowers in your state, also areas and states are divided into planting zones, so try to determine what zone you're in. The bookstore and Lowes have great gardening magazines to give you ideas.

If you look at photos by poster 'Two Knots' she has a phenomenal garden.

Last edited by Startingover; 03-09-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,262

Planning my flower bed

It's been determined here at the ranch the only annual that's worthy of planting for its drought, heat, insect and disease resistant qualities and blooms from early summer until frost is Vinca. These 4 pics are of 7 different color combinations we had last summer.

http://www.gardenersnet.com/flower/vincaperiwinkle.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Planning my flower bed-vinca-1.jpg   Planning my flower bed-vinca-2.jpg   Planning my flower bed-vinca-3.jpg   Planning my flower bed-vinca-4.jpg  

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 03-09-2014 at 07:42 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote