Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

pebbles over mulch

My husband decided to replace the old mulch with small river rocks, but he decided to do the job himself , and not hire someone , so he figure he will keep the mulch and lay the river rocks over it. My question is he doing it right laying the pebbles over the mulch?

SK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Military Mom of 4

pebbles over mulch

How big are the rocks? Small pea sized pebbles? (bad idea). Larger coin-sized? (not such a bad idea). . . but to avoid problems that come along with mulch it's best to rake them up - they biodegrade over time and can become a cesspool for termites and other uckies.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything

pebbles over mulch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK47 View Post
My husband decided to replace the old mulch with small river rocks, but he decided to do the job himself , and not hire someone , so he figure he will keep the mulch and lay the river rocks over it. My question is he doing it right laying the pebbles over the mulch?
It can be done, but it's not a good idea. The rocks - which are heavier than the mulch - will just work their way down and into it, and you'll have a big mess. I'd suggest raking the mulch out of there first.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #4

pebbles over mulch

they'll mix and look ugly before all that mulch has time to decompose
natwlsn is offline   Reply With Quote