Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Oak tree

I have an oak tree in our yard (planted early spring 2012), and it's currently showing no signs of life on the outside... I have scratched the bark and it's still green underneath.
My neighbours also have the same tree and there leaves are almost fully in. All the neighbouring trees have grown there leaves (different types).

At what point do I say it's gone? Are oak trees usually late at producing their leaves?

Many thanks!

MLayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,172

Oak tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLayden View Post
I have an oak tree in our yard (planted early spring 2012), and it's currently showing no signs of life on the outside... I have scratched the bark and it's still green underneath.
My neighbours also have the same tree and there leaves are almost fully in. All the neighbouring trees have grown there leaves (different types).

At what point do I say it's gone? Are oak trees usually late at producing their leaves?

Many thanks!

depends on the species, I would leave it for another week or 2 and see

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
MLayden (06-12-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Oak tree

If you bought the tree from a reputable nursery, see what they say. I too would be inclined to give it a fair chance of snapping out of its funk. By the same token, if it is not going to and the nursery is willing to replace it, you might be best to plant a new one before it turns hot.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
MLayden (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Oak tree

Update: Looks like there are finally some fresh buds on the tree...May take to the end of summer for the leaves to be fully in at this rate. Wish it didn't come through as I wanted to change it out anyways, but now the wife isn't letting me touch it!
MLayden is offline   Reply With Quote