Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #1

Share |

New bushes near pussy willow

We need help picking out some new bushes around our pussy willow. We have a pussy willow tree we planted in a low spot in our back yard last year. It's very happy and growing well with lots of fuzzy flowers. Our problem is what sort of bushes or other plants to put in around the tree. Last year the local garden center recommended hummingbird bushes and smoke bushes. The smoke bushes quickly died (we thought the area was just too wet for them) and we returned them. The hummingbird bushes did well last year but don't look strong now after the winter.

Can anyone help us out with some recommendations? We're in northern Illinois, Zone 5.

thanks.

Ranger1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #2

I've never heard of hummingbird bush and when I google it, up comes butterfly bush, which hummingbirds do like.
I'm pretty much on the border of zone 5 and 6 and I do have a butterfly bush. I can tell you that it is way too early too determine if the butterfly bush survived or not. It also needs a cut back right to the ground .

Be careful what you read about different species. Get the correct info regarding that plant in that zone.
What may be considered difficult to grow in one region may listed as highly invasive in another. In your area (at least in my mine) Goldenrod is everywhere by late summer. It takes over everything. That and purple loosestife. The goldendrod can be seen growing along side hwys and ditches, farmers fields and it is so hard to pull out. Yet in a southern gardening book you may find it highly recommended as a beautiful backdrop.
In the South I hear that morning glory vines are extremely invasive and tough. Ropes and ropes of vines are choking out native species. Here, they need to be babied until established, then the frost gets them.

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #3

My wife had me plant a pussy willow bush last night . I am looking forward to seeing its foilage as we have never had one before.

Last edited by Jeeps; 04-22-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #4

My Mom always had pussy willow trees in our yard. When we moved to our newly built house 1995, I planted one of my own. I thought I planted it far enough away from the house, maybe 3 feet. Turns out I should have planted it just a bit further away. The bush is on the East side of the house that gets more shade than the back and the West side of the house.
We have a 2 story colonial where the 1st floor are 9ft ceilings. The bush grew as tall as the roof of the house and a bit beyond that. I planted it not too far from our a/c unit so that it shaded it more so it didn't get hit with the sun beating on it during the Summer months.
We had that bad snow storm Oct 2011 where many trees still filled with leaves came down in our area. Our pussy willow pretty much split in half and fell down with a big thud
Funny thing was, this bush grew taller than I EVER remember my Mom's bush growing the whole 23 years I lived at home.

Its a nice bush to cut twigs from with the pussy willows and use for vases in the house.
DIY-Her is offline   Reply With Quote