Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #1

Share |

My grass vs neighbors grass

Hello,

I finished installing sod last weekend and I haven't forged out what I should do about my grass meeting my neighbors grass. I have an attachment of what it looks like.

I'm not sure what to do here. I was thinking of. Laying down some brick, but I don't know if it'll look nice. Maybe plant something in between to hide the lines and protect my grass from neighboring weeds a little bit.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!!

ajcrewmisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #2

Oops forgot the picture
Attached Thumbnails
My grass vs neighbors grass-image-2960132841.jpg  

Old 05-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
STAFF

It will all blend in a matter of a couple weeks. Brick will only kill any grass under them and will really draw attention to what you are trying to do. I would suggest a plastic border to keep his grass from bleeding into yours. It would not be as conspicuous and wouldn't tick your neighbor off like the brick might, IMHO

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
ajcrewmisfit (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #4

I agree with Jim, and suspect that bricks could very well be received as well as if they came home from vacation and saw that you had built a fence down the property line. And regardless, they are going to move, so neither of you are going to like them after a while. The only difference is that I would probably use landscape fabric rather than plastic, and would probably dig the dirt down to about 4-6", lay the fabric in the void so that it covers the bottom and comes up on your side, put the dirt back, and seed it.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
ajcrewmisfit (05-12-2014), BigJim (05-12-2014), concretemasonry (05-13-2014), gregzoll (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the great feedback. I didn't consider the brick moving so I'm glad I asked.

The fabric idea sounds great. I think that's the route I'm going to take.

Much appreciated
Old 05-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

You should have taken the leftovers and used them to help blend in between the two. Now you are going to have a dip in that area.

It is not as much as the neighbor's grass getting into yours that causes weed migration. It is the airborne seeds from mowing in the neighborhood, that causes it to happen.

You do want Clover to show up in your yard. Talk to your neighbor next door if they have a problem with Dandelions showing up in the Spring. If they are too busy to spread Pre-Emergent in the Spring or Winterizer in the Fall. Work with them about maybe working as neighbors to keep both yards looking decent.

You will never in a million years have that perfect lawn in 90% of the neighborhoods in America.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #7

Personally, I think a row of perennial grasses would look nice.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cibula11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You should have taken the leftovers and used them to help blend in between the two. Now you are going to have a dip in that area.

It is not as much as the neighbor's grass getting into yours that causes weed migration. It is the airborne seeds from mowing in the neighborhood, that causes it to happen.

You do want Clover to show up in your yard. Talk to your neighbor next door if they have a problem with Dandelions showing up in the Spring. If they are too busy to spread Pre-Emergent in the Spring or Winterizer in the Fall. Work with them about maybe working as neighbors to keep both yards looking decent.

You will never in a million years have that perfect lawn in 90% of the neighborhoods in America.
Darn. Didnt' realize a dip could occur. First time doing anything with grass :/

I do have some soil, however, so I guess i'll throw some soil next to the sod about 1" thick then plant some seed. Hopefully there will be less of a dip.

Also, maybe some perennial grasses in between will be nice to take away from the obvious edges.

Thanks for this feedback!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Just go to the same place you got your sod and ask for some scrap pieces. It will look better then trying to band-aide a fix.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #10

someone hacked your neighbors grass. anyway. patch that up. then just treat your law well. some of that will bleed to your neighbors. your law will stay nice. driving around neighborhoods, i see this often.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
ajcrewmisfit (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcrewmisfit View Post
I'm not sure what to do here.
Another $20 worth of sod and CROSS the line.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Another $20 worth of sod and CROSS the line.
CROSS the line. Got it. Neighbor is a good guy, and I think he'll be 100% fine with that anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Just go to the same place you got your sod and ask for some scrap pieces. It will look better then trying to band-aide a fix.
Didn't think of that. I'll call the people today and see about getting some scraps. Otherwise, I will could just buy another 10 sqft and make it look nice.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #13

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

That small ditch like it could somehow related to drainage. After living in So/Cal, I realize that there different practices and traditions.

I would fill the depression and create grass on top of it, whether by sod or seed. Keep in mind where the imaginary property line is.

Water and maintain it very well initiall and when it gets looking good, it will shame him into doing something to enhance or maintain his property value and not be embarrassed. That is the way good yards have developed through the years.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote