Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Malibu Landscape Lights

I have a set of Malibu Low Voltage landscape lights. They are old but look very nice and I prefer them over the newer solar lights. However, they are difficult to maintain. Perhaps some of you have learned some tips over the years that you can offer to me? A burned-out bulb is an easy fix. But often they go out because they lost good contact with the power. That's not so easy to fix. You must dig-up the contact leads (named "fast-lock II") to clean the metal points that score the wire coating (not easy - you kinda need three hands!) And sometimes the problem is at the bulb socket. You have to wiggle the bulb to get good contact, or bend the prongs for tighter fit. What always happens is you get the bulb to light, but as you attempt to place it back into the ground it goes out and you have to try to figure out where the problem is. Sometimes the troubleshooting causes the bulb to blow but you don't know it blew and you try wiggling and jiggling to get it to light but it won't until you use a new bulb! Has anyone found some easier ways to wire / repair these sets? Is it possible to "hardwire" the entire system and bypass all the contact devices?

Steveromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Malibu Landscape Lights

I dumped mine after a few years- bulbs are proprietary, meaning $$$$$$. Like the 49$ printer that uses $30 ink cartriges. Junk. Dump them. They never seated right down in the 2 contacts.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #3

Malibu Landscape Lights

I love my malibu lights i have had them working nightly for over ten years now they were difficult to maintain 2 years after i installed them, but this is what i did 2 years ago no problems since. First i tried to spray contact cleaner but really the copper terminals need to be cleaned up with a wire brush or steel wool make sure the power is off when you do as it will spark they are close to + -, then i bought some DiElectric grease off ebay it keeps the contacts from getting moisture on them from dew and hence keeps the contact continous. I have switched to 12v LEDs bright white that i soldered up myself i bought some ready to go ones on ebay but the resistor wattage was too low and they only lasted like a night, i ended up running the same resistor wattage that i use in the car 470 ohm @ 1 watt +/- 5% i installed these now 6 months ago and they are still working well they aren't bright but i just have them as accent lighting if you need them to actually illuminate a path then look for the super bright leds. I have added spot lights recently to my light sets since the leds are low consumption the transformer will not feel the additional load, I'm running 10 lights on an 8 light setup.
humpty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #4

Malibu Landscape Lights

By the way the auto parts has a small pouch called bulb grease same stuff as what i bought on ebay no shipping and no waiting.
humpty111 is offline   Reply With Quote