Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Living screen

I need to plant a screen on our extra lot to hide a fishing boat. I want low maintenance and low on pests. I live in zone 7a. These need to be fast growing but don't have to get over 5' tall or so. I have looked at burning bush and yews. They seem too costly since I will need quite a few of them: about a 30 foot line of them I'd say, maybe more.
paintedbunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Living screen

Bamboo will work well if you contain the roots and runners. If you don't, it will get away from you and you will be sorry you planted it. Use large diameter pvc or concrete drain pipe sliced in rings deep enough the roots and runners cannot easily escape it. Plant inside those rings. Then just keep an eye out to make sure nothing sneaks past the boundaries. That is about all the maintenance you will ever have to do. Some bamboo nurseries sell other containment systems.

There are also running and clumping types of bamboo. The clumping varieties that grow in your zone would be the safest. Things like dwarf black bamboo is gorgeous but expensive. The regular stuff is cheap and if you see some growing out of control the owners will gladly let you have as much as you want I am sure.

Again, the key is to contain it. I have visited landscapes I designed and for which I specified bamboo 30 years ago and clients still love it. Without containment there is no doubt it would have taken over their yards in the time period.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Living screen

[quote=sdsester;933684]Bamboo will work well if you contain the roots and runners. If you don't, it will get away from you and you will be sorry you planted it. Use large diameter pvc or concrete drain pipe sliced in rings deep enough the roots and runners cannot easily escape it. Plant inside those rings. Then just keep an eye out to make sure nothing sneaks past the boundaries. That is about all the maintenance you will ever have to do. Some bamboo nurseries sell other containment systems.

There are also running and clumping types of bamboo. The clumping varieties that grow in your zone would be the safest. Things like dwarf black bamboo is gorgeous but expensive. The regular stuff is cheap and if you see some growing out of control the owners will gladly let you have as much as you want I am sure.

Again, the key is to contain it. I have visited landscapes I designed and for which I specified bamboo 30 years ago and clients still love it. Without containment there is no doubt it would have taken over their yards in the time period.[/quote]

In 30 years it would have taken over the whole state, if it's like any I have seen that was not contained

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Living screen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyland_Cypress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #5

Living screen

River willows are nice.You plant it very easily.It's cutting grow too in rain.
designshare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #6

Living screen

See my response to thread below titled "Shrubs as fences" (Or similar). Same goes here.
white29 is offline   Reply With Quote