Lillies - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

lillies

Asaiatic and Oriental lillies:

Just a gentle reminder to check your prized beauties for the drastic lilly beetle.
Mine are only up a few inches, but I already found 15-20 of those nasties that try to disguise themselves as ladybugs.

Go chemical free...By the time you walk to the shed to get the poison, you will have picked them off and squished them anyway. Don't forget to wipe off the orange eggs on the underside

Advertisement

Last edited by creeper; 05-07-2012 at 09:10 AM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

lillies

Had not heard about this. In Central Illinois we were overrun by lady bug lookalikes (but orange) that were bred/engineered and introduced in the South in nut orchards. The soy bean farmers in Central Illinois liked them but at harvest time millions of the things made their way into houses. They stunk when you squashed them and they bit. I was violently allergic and would get welts that would not heal. To their credit they did eat tons of aphids. They did not harm plants.

They finally died out. I guess something in their bio-engineering kicked in after a couple generations and did them in.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #3

lillies

No, they didn't die off. They packed up and moved up here. You are right though, they do take care of aphids, but I still prefer a good old fashioned red lady bug.

Call me crazy but I had a pet lady bug that survived the winter in my home. She'd show up on a window sill every couple of weeks in the dead of winter. I'd collect her and bring her into the kitchen and place her on a slice of apple. She'd spend the next 24 hrs there, sucking the nectar and then disappear for a while more. It was kind of fascinating.

These are the nasty imposters I was talking about. Maybe the similarity ends at red, but they will ravage your lillies in no time. I need to inspect my garden daily. I squish them with two stones.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #4

lillies

Too bad these aphid eating orange lady bugs don't eat those disgusting little worms that make short work of my roses. These are the only plants I will dust or spray with chemicals.
I figure if you're going to play in garden soil, you may as well not be a wimp about creatures in there, and just pick them off.

Of course I draw the line at those giant green horned tomato worms ....uck....
Attached Images

Last edited by creeper; 05-23-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

lillies

These are the buggers that came by the millions to Central Illinois.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote