DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Lawn care

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  user1007 
#1 ·
I live in Los Angeles, CA. Last year(2011) my lawn was dug up completely and reseeded . Green for a few months. This year my grass was/is brown like straw but green in spots. The ground is like clay. I am a senior and cannot afford a gardener. With the help of my son what can we do? My lawn was the prettiest in the block and now it is "embarassing". What can I do? Help...

#2 ·
Water. We have had a really dry rainy season......normally we get about 12-14"....this past year it was only a little over 5".

I water my lawn 3 times a week....at least 10 min.....my sprinkler goes on around 6am....

Right now we are starting to get into our wet season....but it's also getting cold...so your grass is not going to grow much.

Now is also a good time to toss down some fertilizer....I would go with a 10-5-10.

Get some fertilizer and water on it....it should green up over the winter

#3 ·
I know this sounds basic but I agree.

With the heavy California soil, aerating, removing the plugs, and raking in organic material to fill them can really make a difference.

You mention it is brown in places? Was it bermuda before and did it return? It goes dormant and turns brown naturally in the fall. Nothing you can do but dye it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.