Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Knockout Rose Leaf Troubles

I have two knockout roses in my front garden that are in their second year. Overall they have been growing vigorously and blooming, but the leaves look terrible and I am not sure why. I've attached photos of the overall plant and a detail of the leaves. The leaves almost look as if they were burned or extremely dessicated. Some of the leaves only have veins showing (leaf material is missing) but it doesn't look like insect damage to me.

A few weeks ago we got an early hot spell in the 90s, then several weeks of torrential rains (7 inches!). I'm wondering (hoping) that this is the cause and that with some sun they may clean up and bounce back.

Any ideas what might be afflicting these roses?
Attached Thumbnails
Knockout Rose Leaf Troubles-roses-002.jpg   Knockout Rose Leaf Troubles-roses-001.jpg  

Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 540

It looks like insect damage to me. I can't be specific. When I used to have roses, I had to spray them to prevent damage like you have.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Turn the leave over and there you will see tiny green worms. These guys need to be hit directly to die. Then again in a couple of weeks when they come back..

Dish soap and water in a spray bottle works well.

I got real tired of the process with my 5 bushes. Then this spring I got scratched with a thorn and decided they weren't worth the hassel..
They have been hurled into the farmers field, but good luck with yours..

Got your veggies going yet ???
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Dish soap and water in a spray bottle works well.
I'll do it first thing tomorrow morning. We finally have some dry weather, for a couple days at least. We only have two of these bushes and my wife likes them, so I'm game to try keeping them healthy and pretty. The flowers are lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Got your veggies going yet ???
Yep. My seed potatoes from last year overwintered just fine and they are doing really well. I'm doing the hill-in-a-cage thing like last year, just hilled them with straw today. Raspberries, rhubarb, strawberries are all taking off, and we've been bringing extra greens from the square foot garden to the local food pantry. Cucumbers are starting to climb and the tomatoes are on the move too.

A lot of the issues I've had in the last couple years in the new yard seems to be due just to bad soil. I found a good farmstand with really good aged chicken coop compost and I have been digging it in and spreading it everywhere and it has made a world of difference. The bagged "compost" from the box stores is worse than useless, it has so much wood chip in it that it probably sucks more out of the soil than it puts in. I'm probably going to order a truckload of the good stuff delivered in the fall to spread on the lawn.

How are things up north?
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Black Gold..thats what I call manure/compost. Amazing results.

Our weather this spring has been the same as yours..cool and wet..perfect for crops. Your garden sounds great and its nice that you've found an excellent place for the surplus.

Two pictures. The bed where the roses were have been replaced with State Fair zinnias. These beauties will be amazing in a few more weeks.

Veg patch..potatoes are standing tall and peas are climbing the rack. Those two giant things in the middle are parsnips that re grew from un picked last years..im afraid to yank it but I'd be surprised if anything was happpening under the soil. One of these days
Attached Thumbnails
Knockout Rose Leaf Troubles-veg-june-15.jpg   Knockout Rose Leaf Troubles-garden-feet.jpg  
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote