Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #1

Share |

Just how invasive is Mint?

I built a raised 4ft x 4ft box, that is 1ft tall. I planted Mint in it last year. It sprouted, and then stayed that way for the rest of the year. Then, during 30-degree weather in January (2 months ago), I noticed that it started growing. Now, that the weather is warming up, it's really growing. Some of it is 8 inches tall at the moment.

I see that it's pushing new plants up through the soil a foot away from where I planted it (still inside the box). Will it go under the box and start pushing plants up in the yard outside of the box?

r0ckstarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
DIY staff

Mint will go wild on you----seeds drop and soon it has spread---I never found it hard to control--just pull out or mow the strays and it's gone---but if you have a naturalized garden, it can take over----

r0ckstarr (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

Agreed with oh'mike - while it grows weedlike, ti's way easier to control than most invasives or weeds. If you let it go unchecked it'll go crazy but with a tiny amount of effort it's pretty manageable.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #4

Thanks! It doesn't seem as bad as it's made out to be. I pass by it at least 3-4 times a week. I'm sure I can manage it until I get tired of looking at it and rip it out for something else.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #5

Just keep on top of it and you won't have any problems.
mbender2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mbender2004 For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (03-28-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

I'm thinking mint has legs and jumps out of the box. So a person may as well add some color with its cousin and mix some Perilla with it. I know it jumps out but one swipe of a Q-Tip saturated with a Glyphosate mixture on 1 leaf is an effective control method. If you plan to irradiate it completely plan on 5 years at least.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/define-perilla.htm
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
DIY staff

Catnip is in the mint family,I believe---I have a patch under one tree---The cat likes it----but it makes lousy iced tea----
Robpo (04-02-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #8

Just as wild as oregano, I contain them in individual pots, but they'll drop seeds and grow in a walkway crack....
Labman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #9

It probably won't push out of the box but it will certainly fill the box quite rapidly.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 12:50 PM   #10

Yes, the box is filling quickly. I can see a noticeable difference in growth every couple days.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:20 AM   #11

I planted mint for the first time last year and I use weed block. I was very surprised to find that the roots had spread about 8' from where I plated the mint, under the weed block, when I tore up the garden in the fall.
petey_c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petey_c For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-30-2014), r0ckstarr (03-30-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #12

VERY!
What I find works well is to get a plastic bucket and punch lots of holes in the bottom, and prepare it as though it's a planter (stones for drainage etc).
Then I bury the bucket in the ground (or in your case the raised bed), and plant the mint in the bucket.
Mint spreads through roots, and the bucket keeps them from spreading and taking over the neighbourhood and eventually the continent
I use the same technique with chives (lovely edible flowers)
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derrick For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (04-09-2014), Texasguy (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #13

I have a few patches of mint in my back yard that have been there since before we moved in. It hasn't really spread beyond those areas and gives off a pleasant aroma when it is mowed of scuffed by feet.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #14

I started mine in a small 6in x 12in rectangular pot meant for a window box. Once it actually started growing, I took it out and replanted it in the 4ft x 4ft box. I put it in the center. It's getting close, but hasn't made it to the edges of the box yet. If I get a chance tomorrow, ill try to get a picture up just to have something to show.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:52 AM   #15

The large mint family, Lamiaceae, has about 250 genera and some 6,700 species and includes many well-known herbs and garden plants such as like lavender, sage, basil, rosemary and mint. Mentha (Latin for mint) is a cosmopolitan genus with about 20 to 30 species that are mainly found in temperate regions. The identification of the mints can be quite difficult for they are extremely variable and easily hybridized.
Some of the mints are very aggressive either by seeds or by the roots while others are rather docile. All of them can be controlled with Roundup (glyphosate) but the ones with seeds are more of a problem as they seem to go everywhere. Most of those though are not a root problem and are easily pulled up.
You can contain the roots in a raised bed with stainless steel sheeting, but that needs to go down 3 feet. Also the roots eventually fill the bed and choke the plants leaving you with an ugly mess.
Usually the cat mints are not overly aggressive and can be more easily controlled. Cut it off when it starts to become too much for you, dry that until it is dead and then use it for compost. You will love it!

bobvanhalder is offline   Reply With Quote