Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hydroponic Farm/Garden

I'd like to build a hydroponic garden capable of feeding up to 3 people year round. I've seen a lot of families build these for regular food. I've even seen a family on a half acre of land in New York build one that feeds a family of 7 year round.

I've never built anything (I know quite the starter project), so what would be the materials needed and how would it go together? This would, I suppose work like a green house but with hydroponic elements.

Thanks for your time and patience.

thorax232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,030

Hydroponic Farm/Garden

perhaps a hydroponic forum?
http://www.google.ca/search?q=hydrop...hrome&ie=UTF-8

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hydroponic Farm/Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
If you don't think this is a construction project, by all means get to explaining. But if you don't have anything useful to say.......
thorax232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hydroponic Farm/Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorax232 View Post
If you don't think this is a construction project, by all means get to explaining. But if you don't have anything useful to say.......
Easy now. What was wrong with the comment? It is best not to bash those trying to help. Mae Ling offered nothing that should have set you off with such a hostile comment!

I too suggest you seek out a more specific hydroponic forum of some kind. While there may be construction components to something like this, we are not going to know the hydroponic systems around which and for the construction is needed. You need to pick those for us first. And tell us whether your plants will be stationary or whether they will move with lights and through nutrients. And especially since you have limited construction experience, it strikes me you might be better off with manufactured components you could link together than starting from scratch and worrying about waterproofing materials, forming metal drain pans, etc. I am not trying to talk you out of DIYing this but sometimes this is not the best way to approach things. No reason to reinvent wheels and that sort of logic.

You might also search the Springwise site. There are some rather cool and complete hydroponic systems that pop up there now and then. Perhaps one of those concepts would save you a fair amount of custom construction. Here is one link but do a fresh search when you get there as it may change.

http://www.springwise.com/?s=hydroponic+

Last edited by user1007; 09-29-2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hydroponic Farm/Garden

I thought the link was useful. I knew what you meant but how would one implement it? I would be surprised if any member has built one before. You need to research the subject, find the dimensions, weight, water-proofed, etc., then we can help you DIY. We need more information from you on (your) project requirements. A link or two would help as well. Give us an idea of the size and scope of the project, perhaps a drawing of the design you settled on... we're flying blind, here.

Gary
P.S. Welcome to the forums!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 296

Hydroponic Farm/Garden

Hi Thorax,

I believe you are looking for greenhouse construction information. Greenhouses are a whole 'nuther bowl of wax in construction. Let me point you to a place that has greenhouse expertise. We built a shadehouse for our orchids but it does not have glass or plexi walls.

Go to the below link and search through the greenhouse projects. If you get stumped, post your questions and the GH guys will chime in to help or point you in the right direction.

http://www.orchidboard.com/community...use-gardening/

Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadytrake For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (10-20-2012)