How To Get Of These Weeds - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

How to get of these weeds

They are located in the soil next to my home.
Attached Thumbnails
How to get of these weeds-image-3754411279.jpg  

Advertisement

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,222

pull em out

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn
pull em out
There are a ton and they are all around my home.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,650

Touch a leaf with a Q-tip saturated with glyphosate mixed with water of a ratio approximately 1.6 oz. glyphosate / Qt. of water.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview
Touch a leaf with a Q-tip saturated with glyphosate mixed with water of a ratio approximately 1.6 oz. glyphosate / Qt. of water.
What about weed b gone concentrate sprayed lightly on the weeds. I just planted some new knockouts nearby.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
What about weed b gone concentrate sprayed lightly on the weeds. I just planted some new knockouts nearby.
Fine if you don't mind gambling on whether the spray drifts to undesirable locations and you know for certain weed be gone will kill the weed.

That's why I do things that I know will work. Wicking with glyphosate I know works, no spray to drift and uses about 1/100 of the amount of spraying.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Fine if you don't mind gambling on whether the spray drifts to undesirable locations and you know for certain weed be gone will kill the weed. That's why I do things that I know will work. Wicking with glyphosate I know works, no spray to drift and uses about 1/100 of the amount of spraying.
where can that be purchased?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #8

Quote:
where can that be purchased?
Most gardening centers, Ace hardware, home improvement stores etc. will have it pre-mixed or sell the concentrate to be mixed by the customer.

I don't bend too well anymore so I attached a small sponge on a piece of lumber about 2 ft. long and a backer board to compliment it.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Most gardening centers, Ace hardware, home improvement stores etc. will have it pre-mixed or sell the concentrate to be mixed by the customer. I don't bend too well anymore so I attached a small sponge on a piece of lumber about 2 ft. long and a backer board to compliment it.
So it's just plain old glyphosate?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #10

Quote:
So it's just plain old glyphosate?
Yes and Round-Up is the common name we associate it with.

Some folks expect immediate results and glysophate doesn't work that way.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 06-05-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,168

I would work as much as I could with a cultivator, pull whatever weeds are too close to get with that by hand, sprinkle some Preen, staying back 6-8" from anything that I wanted to grow, and spread a few inches of mulch.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Putting the glyphosate directly on the weeds is a good way to go so that you don't kill your knockout roses. Once the weeds are gone you need to take measures to prevent them from coming back. Weeds, like all plants, need light, water, nutrients and air in order to grow. So leaving bare soil only encourages weeds to grow. Covering the area with mulch helps to block out the light and air that stimulates germination. Cultivating the are may bring dormant seeds to life and will just bring more air into the soil. Also when watering the plants in that area do not spray them with a hose. Use a watering can or install a drip system. You want to water your plants directly at the base of the plant. The plant will get more water this way and be healthier. If you use a hose and spray the area you are not only getting less water to your plants you are also watering the weeds and encouraging them to grow.

Dirt Ain't Cheap (my landscaping blog)
Indepspirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepspirit
Putting the glyphosate directly on the weeds is a good way to go so that you don't kill your knockout roses. Once the weeds are gone you need to take measures to prevent them from coming back. Weeds, like all plants, need light, water, nutrients and air in order to grow. So leaving bare soil only encourages weeds to grow. Covering the area with mulch helps to block out the light and air that stimulates germination. Cultivating the are may bring dormant seeds to life and will just bring more air into the soil. Also when watering the plants in that area do not spray them with a hose. Use a watering can or install a drip system. You want to water your plants directly at the base of the plant. The plant will get more water this way and be healthier. If you use a hose and spray the area you are not only getting less water to your plants you are also watering the weeds and encouraging them to grow.
I had mulch in this area before, but a contractor who looked at my foundation and the small water leak we had in our basement that was fixed with epoxy told me not to put mulch around my home. This is why I just added brown soil around the foundation. Since I have done that my sump pump doesn't go on as much when it rains heavily.

Doesn't weed be gone have this glyphosate ingredient?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
I had mulch in this area before, but a contractor who looked at my foundation and the small water leak we had in our basement that was fixed with epoxy told me not to put mulch around my home. This is why I just added brown soil around the foundation. Since I have done that my sump pump doesn't go on as much when it rains heavily.

Doesn't weed be gone have this glyphosate ingredient?
Weed be gone has Triclophyl, MCPA and Dicamba. If you have foundation leaks the contractor is correct the mulch could add to the problem. You could plant some ground cover there. That way you don't have bare soil , it will slow down the weed growth and could help with the water leaks as the ground cover will soak up the the water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Dirt Ain't Cheap (my landscaping blog)
Indepspirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indepspirit
Weed be gone has Triclophyl, MCPA and Dicamba. If you have foundation leaks the contractor is correct the mulch could add to the problem. You could plant some ground cover there. That way you don't have bare soil , it will slow down the weed growth and could help with the water leaks as the ground cover will soak up the the water. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
I need to pitch the soil away from the foundation. This year I need to leave it as is for that reason. If I get ground covers the downside is what if I need to add more soil later on.

Advertisement