Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #1

Share |

Help with crabgrass

We re-landscaped our yards in spring and were hoping to get rid of the crabgrass that was invading our old yard. Our landscaper dug up the old grass and left dirt for 3 weeks before installing new sod, he told us this would get rid of the crabgrass but now I notice some crabgrass has began to grow. I am carefully pulling it up as I see it but wonder if there is a solution to get rid of it permanently.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with crabgrass-grass.jpg  

mrwoodty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #2

Help with crabgrass

That's good looking grass. Pull up what you have and then use a pre-emergent in the spring. Crabgrass is an annual so if you get rid of it now, it won't be back in the Spring unless some seed has fallen. The pre-emergent will keep the seed from germinating.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

Help with crabgrass

Pulling up the crabgrass promptly will keep it from maturing and dropping seeds. Crabgrass is most commonly treated by putting down a pre-emergent treatment containing corn gluten in the spring. This keeps any crabgrass seeds (nor any other seed, I believe) from sprouting. You will have to do a search to confirm when is the proper time to put down the corn gluten in your area. I don't think there is much you can do now.

I read the corn gluten is good for 5-6 weeks. What I did this past spring was put down the corn gluten at the recommended time, and then again 5 weeks later, and got excellent results. Not a single blade of crabgrass to pull this year. ( My neighbor has plenty of crabgrass, so normally its a struggle every year to keep it off my lawn)
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #4

Help with crabgrass

Dan im confused, you say I cant use the pre-emergent treatment until next spring but then you say get rid of it now (Summer / fall) can I use the treatment now or do I have to wait until next spring? PS thanks for the advise.
mrwoodty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #5

Help with crabgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwoodty View Post
Dan im confused, you say I cant use the pre-emergent treatment until next spring but then you say get rid of it now (Summer / fall) can I use the treatment now or do I have to wait until next spring? PS thanks for the advise.
The pre-emergent won't do much good now that it's late in the season. You could put it down but you would be wasting your money. It is best applied in the Spring.

As for the crabgrass that you find growing now, pull it up by hand. I used to use crabgrass killer spray and it was not effective. When it did work I was left with spots of dead crabgrass that still had to be pulled up. The caution is that if you let the crabgrass mature, it's going to form seed heads which become next year's problem.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #6

Help with crabgrass

I finally decided to get serious about my crabgrass this year. I've had pretty good luck spit spraying with MSMA and other crabgrass killers from Ortho, Bayer, and some other lesser known names.

Has it yellowed the nearby Bermuda grass? Yes, a little, but it comes right back, and spreads right over where the crabgrass used to be

Now, I don't know what type grass you have ... yours may be less forgiving, and may not spread over with rhizomes as Bermuda does.

But the treatments sure have cut back on my need to mow so often. The crabgrass sure grows faster than the Bermuda.

I'm figuring every half hour I'm spraying saves me an hour of mowing. A five-gallon backpack sprayer is the way to go.

Your mileage may vary.

RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote