Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #1

Share |

Growing plants and vegetables in the shade

In my yard there are 2 large trees plus bushes(not sure if they are or not) that provide a lot of shade (almost the entire yard). My yard is pointing west. It's going to cost a lot to get rid of those 2 trees, plus the 2 trees are growing on me (keeps the yard cool and shaded). But I also want a vegetable garden. Is it possible to grow vegetables in the shade?

edta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:33 AM   #2

I would ask the local mill or independent garden center this question, as growing conditions vary a lot. Also, particularly with minimal sun and whatever affect the trees may have, I would take a few small scoops of soil to be analyzed, so that they can advise you of any nutrients that may need to be added to aid growth in this area.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
DIY staff

I've got a heavily shaded yard,too. I gave up on a vegetable patch years ago--just didn't work for me.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #4

we have similar problem living in area with trees all around. We found container, growing in pots, with good soil allowed for optimal placement and good water/ nutrient control. we seem to get higher yields also
Old 06-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Most veges are annuals and have a lot to accomplish in a few short months. Which requires food, water and lots of sunlight. You might have some luck with leafy lettuces and things but you will be dissapointed with most other things.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

In my zone you can grow lots of green tomatoes in the shade, but they won't ever ripen all the way.

Consider non-traditional locations that get at least several hours of sun. Our neighborhood has lots of front yard veggie gardens. Some as small as 4x4.

Talk to your sunny neighbors. I lend some of my veggie box space to my neighbors who are shade-bound.

I know nothing tastes better than a home grown tomato (I've got 18 tomatoes, 12 peppers, pole beans, snow peas, and lots and lots of basil). But consider a CSA (community supported agriculture) - look it up and eat locally.

No FARMS. No Food.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edta1 View Post
In my yard there are 2 large trees plus bushes(not sure if they are or not) that provide a lot of shade (almost the entire yard). My yard is pointing west. It's going to cost a lot to get rid of those 2 trees, plus the 2 trees are growing on me (keeps the yard cool and shaded). But I also want a vegetable garden. Is it possible to grow vegetables in the shade?

It`s very nice that you want to do this but there are some things that you can`t do without any knowledge or less knowledge so please don`t wast your time many and land just call the companies of SPAM SPAM SPAM-- They will provide you full service and they will make your garden look like heaven. the choice is all yours..

Last edited by oh'mike; 02-09-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: removed advertising
paulsmith544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #8

As said, veggies need lots of sun. That being said, I was able to grow lettuce, spinach, and swiss chard in a shady area last year. The area isn't comletely shaded, but does have a fence next to it, as well as some large trees nearby. My pepper plants didn't like the area at all. While the pepper plants grew, they never got enough sun to actually fruit.

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote