Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:21 AM   #1

Share |

Gardening in partial shade

Over the course of the next year I'd like to attempt to convert the generic front landscaping I have to an edible garden with lots of deliciousness but the front spends the better part of the afternoon in full to dappled shade. From sunrise to around 12pm it gets great light, but after 12pm the sun moves around the house and it is in shade until a little bit peaks around the corner and hits it about 5pm. The front faces approximately North East.

From what I've gathered the usual (tomato, squash, peas) food crops require large amounts of sunlight (am I wrong?) and probably won't do super well with the shade in the afternoon. Are there any good, viable options that will do well with strong morning sun but full shade all afternoon? The plants I have now in the front seem hit or miss with their growth, but that could be due to the rather high temperatures at the moment and my lack of watering
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Learning by Doing

I'd try EARLY spring stuff - when your tree hasn't leafed out all the way. Lettuce, greens, etc - early peas - strawberries. Some herbs will do ok, and look pretty and provide utility.

Tomatoes will ACTUALLY grow well in afternoon mixed shade; but they WON'T ripen well. So, if you are willing to grow masses of green/slightly-under-ripe tomatoes you'll be set. They'll ripen on your windowsill.

Lastly, if you want success: set up some irrigation and an automatic timer. The tree that will shade your garden in the afternoon will also be stealing it's water.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
I'd try EARLY spring stuff - when your tree hasn't leafed out all the way. Lettuce, greens, etc - early peas - strawberries. Some herbs will do ok, and look pretty and provide utility.

Tomatoes will ACTUALLY grow well in afternoon mixed shade; but they WON'T ripen well. So, if you are willing to grow masses of green/slightly-under-ripe tomatoes you'll be set. They'll ripen on your windowsill.

Lastly, if you want success: set up some irrigation and an automatic timer. The tree that will shade your garden in the afternoon will also be stealing it's water.
I do love some fried green tomatoes!

The front is shaded by other buildings, the porch overhang and the natural path of the sun. No trees in front.

An irrigation set up is my next big outside project I think, once its not so bloody hot outside. The concrete planters on the front of the house are impossible to keep hydrated...
Old 06-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #4

Would an herb garden work? I think you'll have fewer worries about how much sun you really need. Also, is it possible to trim the trees to get some more sunlight in. I realize it's expensive and you have to redo it every so often, but....

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening...b-garden.shtml
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

No trees in the front yard. All building shading. Kind of hard to trim them back

I have a general idea on what I want to do - I found some resources online about shade area gardening and a lot of what will grow are things I'd like to have but don't due to space in my current garden. I also have a small herb garden in the back, but am not opposed to it moving.

http://www.farmtotableonline.org/201...-in-the-shade/ this is the best information I've found so far. Hopefully it either cools off soon or fall & winter are mild so I can get it all ready to go for spring.