Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Flower & tree book suggestions

Hello! Well, I am a first time homebuyer & am moving into my dream home on the bluffs of a river here in Missouri. The landscaping is hideous but I see potential, just need some suggestions on books to start researching what plants, shrubs, trees I should use (including all details as to sunlight needs, upkeep, growth, & type) & assistance on layouts for landscaping. Also, if anyone would know a mathematical equation for me to figure out how many tons of dirt ill need would be helpful as well. My yard is basically rocks boulders & trees, not much sunlight for now, this fall ill be trimming trees so i have a better view. Thanks.

redheadedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like you need some good books on pruning and I would check at the library first to try some good books on native plants. They should also have some nice general gardening books with info about trees, shrubs and flowers for your region. Check for publications state and university ag extension might put out. If your community has an arborist, their office will have recommendations for trees they would like to see planted. They seek diversity in planting so something like Dutch Elm disease does not take out every tree planted.

You should take the time to scale out your yard and commit it to paper either by hand or using a simple computer program. You will find having a scaled drawing helpful in arranging plants, determining drip and conventional irrigation requirements, landscape lighting wiring requirements, etc. With it you can make the computations as to how much topsoil, soil ammendments and so forth you will need.

For that, look at the Android app store for some construction calculators and convertors that will convert area to cubic feet or cubic yards for you. The formulas are not complicated though. Note that most landscape materials are sold in cubic yards, and not by tonnage weight.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Check out the Missouri Department of Conservation website. We've purchased several books through them, not only native trees, but plants, birds, snakes, etc. They also have a lot of free pamphlets.
I find it a bit hard to find stuff on their website. If you have a MDC office nearby, they should have a list.

http://mdc.mo.gov/

http://www.mdcnatureshop.com/home.php?cat=134

Last edited by Blondesense; 03-26-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
redheadedjoe (03-26-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Good idea on checking out the conservation. Our home is surrounded by different state parks I just never thought about visiting them for books. Thanks.
redheadedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote