Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #1

Share |

Fertilizer for fruit tree initial and later growth

I'm growing a fruit tree.

I'm trying to decide if I should fertilize it to make it grow faster. It should fruit 1 year from planting, in November 2014. Planted in July.

It's planted in 6cuft garden soil + 2.25cuft "manure and hummus", so the nutrient balance should be decent. I water it twice weekly with a Tree Gator (Monday and Thursday) because it barely rains here. I use a cultivator to break up the mulch before watering as well.

I'm considering adding something to the Tree Gator, like 2-4 ounces of a pellet organic fertilizer or such, to add nutrients and encourage the tree to rapidly form leaves and branches and roots. Also considering the future potential to add something to make it grow more/bigger fruit. I have access to a lot of lawn, and am able to produce quite a bit of compost; this may be sufficient, as the soil isn't depleted.

Any benefit/risk to fertilizing this now through November for added growth? Probably should have thought of this in July to early August when it was extremely hot. It grew quite spectacularly when I first planted it, some 30 inches of new branch growth in a week...I guess it liked the soil. Also should I do anything to make it grow next year, since it'll be hot in June-August again?

Edit:

Quote:
Yes, but... overfertilization leads to fast, weak growth, and then you lose the trees in a good wind... it can also set up the tree for various insect and disease problems.
Source(s):

botanist
I guess the answer is "no".

Last edited by bluefoxicy; 08-29-2013 at 08:47 AM.
bluefoxicy is offline   Reply With Quote