Fall Fertalizing - Gardening Forum - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fall fertalizing

Hi everyone,

I moved to Denver recently and it is a completely different climate than what I'm used to so I thought I'd ask a basic question as I don't really know how much of what I know will be different. What is the best time to fertilize in the fall and what would be the best fertilizer to use? Grass is currently green in most spots, but there are a few dead areas. Also, there is a water restriction of being able to water 3 days a week with varying times based on the type of sprinkler used.

Thanks!

Advertisement

pigpenosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Fall fertalizing

Also, I failed to mention that there are weeds of all types in the yard. Tree of Heaven is definitely one of the biggest issue. I walk around with a brush kill spray that does well on those and doesn't harm the grass at all but I would love to find a fertilizer that would help with the battle.

Advertisement

pigpenosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,658

Fall fertalizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpenosu View Post
Hi everyone,

I moved to Denver recently and it is a completely different climate than what I'm used to so I thought I'd ask a basic question as I don't really know how much of what I know will be different. What is the best time to fertilize in the fall and what would be the best fertilizer to use? Grass is currently green in most spots, but there are a few dead areas. Also, there is a water restriction of being able to water 3 days a week with varying times based on the type of sprinkler used.

Thanks!
I recommend purchasing a test kit and taking the result to your county extension service for them to recommend treatment. They may want to know what grass species you have.

The pickle jar isn't included in the test kit so you'll need to provide your own for those professionals to read soil structure. Just sample about a half dozen locations at about a 4" depth, add water, shake vigorously and leave undisturbed for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails
Fall fertalizing-soil-test-samples-4-17-09.jpg   Fall fertalizing-soil-test-chart-4-17-09.jpg  
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Fall fertalizing

I would find a local garden center and ask them
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Fall fertalizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I would find a local garden center and ask them
Same here :p
eliciasam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Fall fertalizing

I don't know what part of Denver you are in but the O'tooles off Belleview and Federal really helped our lawn this year. It was our first full year in the new house and things are gradually getting better after the poor lawn was apparently beat down by the previous owner. We fertilized and top dressed in Late March and will be doing it again this month

Advertisement

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote