Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #1

Share |

Does chlorine bleach kill climbing ivy? It has taken over my house and growing into the basement

can Chlorine bleach kll growing ivy..........

donnam9916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #2

Does chlorine bleach kill climbing ivy? It has taken over my house and growing into the basement

I'm not so sure about that. Did you read that somewhere?

Most Ivy can be cut back, and then Round-up (Glyphosate) applied to the cut ends. Make sure to clean up ALL clippings, as each of them can start their own roots.

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnam9916 View Post
can Chlorine bleach kll growing ivy..........
I wouldn't want to be dumping bleach everywhere...

I had out of control ivy on my chimney and vinyl siding. I found that Round Up would slow it down a bit, kill a few leaves, but leave the plant intact and still growing.

What I had to do was cut the ivy at the ground--it was as thick as a small tree trunk in a few places, then I dug down and pulled all the roots out using straps, come-alongs and my car as an anchor point.

After I did that the parts that were on the house/chimney died within days and I was able to pull it down.

A word of caution--
You will never be able to get the "suckers" out of the wood, vinyl, chimney... it's been 2 years and I'm still looking at them even after spending days that first summer scrubbing... It would take me about 10-15 mins to clear a 1'x1' patch of vinyl... the brick required a wire wheel brush and after hours I just gave up. Now I wish I had left it up but done a better job of containing it... in fact I often consider replanting some to send it back up the chimney.