Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Dead Fall / Winter Grass ?

Hi All -

I am new to this forum and wanted to ask a question. I moved into a new home that once had beautiful green grass. As the weather got colder here in NJ the grass began to brown and now looks almost dead. I haven't treated it (rookie mistake I know ).

What can I do to make sure I have my nice green grass back for spring / summer? Considering its december and temperatures will remain just below 35 here until the spring.

Pictures attached of current lawn.
Attached Images

rickyrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
JOATMON

Cut it close and don't worry about it. It's going to do exactly the same thing next year.....and the year after.

Hopefully some of the experts will chime in on the best time to apply your spring ferterlizer.....

Right now is the best time to do a majoirty of your major gardening.....especially if your going to move plants or put in new ones....everythig is dormant.....you basically want everything in the ground before spring. Watch the trees....when you start to see new buds, spring has started.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #3

Mother Nature will have that lush and green again in April or May. If you can still get a weed and feed granular product, then broadcast that around when the snow melts or just before the dandy lions roar into life. We can't get them here in Ontario. Just the feed part, no weed killers allowed.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Cut it close and don't worry about it. It's going to do exactly the same thing next year.....and the year after.

Hopefully some of the experts will chime in on the best time to apply your spring ferterlizer.....

Right now is the best time to do a majoirty of your major gardening.....especially if your going to move plants or put in new ones....everythig is dormant.....you basically want everything in the ground before spring. Watch the trees....when you start to see new buds, spring has started.

maybe in Cal, here( On the East coast) the ground is pretty much frozen
just wiat till spring to do any yard work
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
maybe in Cal, here( On the East coast) the ground is pretty much frozen
just wiat till spring to do any yard work
Oh yea....forgot about that....you have that thing called "cold"....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 01-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

[QUOTE=ddawg16;1087924]Oh yea....forgot about that....you have that thing called "cold"....[/QUOTE]

ahhh, yes, you live in a different world than most of us

we are coming out to see that world in a couple months to visit friends, it is a nice place to visit but ,personally,I would not want to live there, the wife has a different opinion( it has to do with not having to fuss with her hair)
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Mother Nature will have that lush and green again in April or May. If you can still get a weed and feed granular product, then broadcast that around when the snow melts or just before the dandy lions roar into life. We can't get them here in Ontario. Just the feed part, no weed killers allowed.

I'm not a tree hugger, but I recommend applying a good organic fert in the spring, rather than a weed n feed product. The micro organisms, worm population, and fungi in your lawn will be healthier and will do a great job of breaking down the nutrients in the organic fert. Organics do take longer to go to work - usually 3 or 4 weeks, but they last longer and don't kill off the microculture. Feed n feed usually contains Dicamba, 2,4-d, and mecopro, which will kill the beneficial micros and fungi, leaving your lawn more susceptible to disease and pests.

I've used Milorganite, Perfect Blend, and Scott's Organic. Ringer's Lawn Restore is another good one. If you're worried about dandelions coming up in the spring, apply Corn Gluten Meal during your first fert application of the year, which acts as a pre-emergent.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
I'm not a tree hugger, but I recommend applying a good organic fert in the spring, rather than a weed n feed product. The micro organisms, worm population, and fungi in your lawn will be healthier and will do a great job of breaking down the nutrients in the organic fert. Organics do take longer to go to work - usually 3 or 4 weeks, but they last longer and don't kill off the microculture. Feed n feed usually contains Dicamba, 2,4-d, and mecopro, which will kill the beneficial micros and fungi, leaving your lawn more susceptible to disease and pests.

I've used Milorganite, Perfect Blend, and Scott's Organic. Ringer's Lawn Restore is another good one. If you're worried about dandelions coming up in the spring, apply Corn Gluten Meal during your first fert application of the year, which acts as a pre-emergent.
You bring up a good point.

I personally don't use breadleaf killers. I have had good success with more natural methods.....like plucking weeds by hand....boiling water works well.....and I find that frequent gooming allows the grass to grow but keeps the weeds knocked down so they eventually get overgrown by the wanted grass.

Tags
brown, dead, lawn, winter