DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Gardening Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/f102/)
-   -   Dead Fall / Winter Grass ? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f102/dead-fall-winter-grass-168388/)

rickyrak 01-06-2013 01:49 PM

Dead Fall / Winter Grass ?
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi All -

I am new to this forum and wanted to ask a question. I moved into a new home that once had beautiful green grass. As the weather got colder here in NJ the grass began to brown and now looks almost dead. I haven't treated it (rookie mistake I know :eek:).

What can I do to make sure I have my nice green grass back for spring / summer? Considering its december and temperatures will remain just below 35 here until the spring.

Pictures attached of current lawn.

ddawg16 01-06-2013 01:56 PM

Cut it close and don't worry about it. It's going to do exactly the same thing next year.....and the year after.

Hopefully some of the experts will chime in on the best time to apply your spring ferterlizer.....

Right now is the best time to do a majoirty of your major gardening.....especially if your going to move plants or put in new ones....everythig is dormant.....you basically want everything in the ground before spring. Watch the trees....when you start to see new buds, spring has started.

creeper 01-06-2013 03:48 PM

Mother Nature will have that lush and green again in April or May. If you can still get a weed and feed granular product, then broadcast that around when the snow melts or just before the dandy lions roar into life. We can't get them here in Ontario. Just the feed part, no weed killers allowed.

chrisn 01-06-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawg16 (Post 1087595)
Cut it close and don't worry about it. It's going to do exactly the same thing next year.....and the year after.

Hopefully some of the experts will chime in on the best time to apply your spring ferterlizer.....

Right now is the best time to do a majoirty of your major gardening.....especially if your going to move plants or put in new ones....everythig is dormant.....you basically want everything in the ground before spring. Watch the trees....when you start to see new buds, spring has started.


maybe in Cal, here( On the East coast) the ground is pretty much frozen
just wiat till spring to do any yard work

ddawg16 01-06-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 1087743)
maybe in Cal, here( On the East coast) the ground is pretty much frozen
just wiat till spring to do any yard work

Oh yea....forgot about that....you have that thing called "cold"....

chrisn 01-07-2013 05:53 AM

[QUOTE=ddawg16;1087924]Oh yea....forgot about that....you have that thing called "cold"....[/QUOTE]


ahhh, yes, you live in a different world than most of us:laughing:

we are coming out to see that world in a couple months to visit friends, it is a nice place to visit but ,personally,I would not want to live there, the wife has a different opinion( it has to do with not having to fuss with her hair:eek:)

Seattle2k 01-07-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creeper (Post 1087676)
Mother Nature will have that lush and green again in April or May. If you can still get a weed and feed granular product, then broadcast that around when the snow melts or just before the dandy lions roar into life. We can't get them here in Ontario. Just the feed part, no weed killers allowed.


I'm not a tree hugger, but I recommend applying a good organic fert in the spring, rather than a weed n feed product. The micro organisms, worm population, and fungi in your lawn will be healthier and will do a great job of breaking down the nutrients in the organic fert. Organics do take longer to go to work - usually 3 or 4 weeks, but they last longer and don't kill off the microculture. Feed n feed usually contains Dicamba, 2,4-d, and mecopro, which will kill the beneficial micros and fungi, leaving your lawn more susceptible to disease and pests.

I've used Milorganite, Perfect Blend, and Scott's Organic. Ringer's Lawn Restore is another good one. If you're worried about dandelions coming up in the spring, apply Corn Gluten Meal during your first fert application of the year, which acts as a pre-emergent.

ddawg16 01-07-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seattle2k (Post 1088282)
I'm not a tree hugger, but I recommend applying a good organic fert in the spring, rather than a weed n feed product. The micro organisms, worm population, and fungi in your lawn will be healthier and will do a great job of breaking down the nutrients in the organic fert. Organics do take longer to go to work - usually 3 or 4 weeks, but they last longer and don't kill off the microculture. Feed n feed usually contains Dicamba, 2,4-d, and mecopro, which will kill the beneficial micros and fungi, leaving your lawn more susceptible to disease and pests.

I've used Milorganite, Perfect Blend, and Scott's Organic. Ringer's Lawn Restore is another good one. If you're worried about dandelions coming up in the spring, apply Corn Gluten Meal during your first fert application of the year, which acts as a pre-emergent.

You bring up a good point.

I personally don't use breadleaf killers. I have had good success with more natural methods.....like plucking weeds by hand....boiling water works well.....and I find that frequent gooming allows the grass to grow but keeps the weeds knocked down so they eventually get overgrown by the wanted grass.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.