Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Cats in beds

Living in northeast getting ready for another storm Sun/Mon. Hoping thats it.Thinking ahead to spring and getting my beds ready for summer.Im so tired of the neighbors stray cats that they feed about 5 of them that always use my flower beds as a feces/urinal box.Moth balls wash away, ground pepper doesnt last.I know chicken coop wire works but I dont want to do all that work.Does anybody have any proven methods.Thanks Charlie M.

CHASMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

Cats in beds

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8321_200518321

Old 03-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #3

Cats in beds

.22 rifle. Seriously though,you may try mulching the beds with sweetgum balls if you have them in your area.I use them in my garden and they keep rabbits and pests out.They hurt their feet when they walk on them.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #4

Cats in beds

People here have been recommending motion detector sprinklers.

Just like Joe's link that I didn't realize he had posted
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

Cats in beds

I have a couple of outdoor cats, sometimes more, sometimes less, and I've determined a domestic cat sometimes has a memory that may be worse than mine.
But, did you know if a cat steps on the pan of a mouse trap, where they aren't wanted, their memory improves dramatically. It must be something about the snap sound and almost "Gotcha" thing. They aren't allowed in the garage and don't venture there anymore because of a "Gotcha" or two in strategic locations. They are well cared for but outdoors please.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #6

Cats in beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASMANN View Post
Living in northeast getting ready for another storm Sun/Mon. Hoping thats it.Thinking ahead to spring and getting my beds ready for summer.Im so tired of the neighbors stray cats that they feed about 5 of them that always use my flower beds as a feces/urinal box.Moth balls wash away, ground pepper doesnt last.I know chicken coop wire works but I dont want to do all that work.Does anybody have any proven methods.Thanks Charlie M.
Trap them (live trap) and take them to your local animal control. In my area it's illegal to let your cats run loose, just like it's illegal to let your dogs run loose. (or cattle or goats or parrots or any other animal) I have never understood why cat owners think that their animals should be allowed to destroy other peoples property.

And no, I'm not a cat hater. LOML is very active in cat rescue/fostering and I'm around them all the time. They're damn sure not allowed to go make a mess of other people's property though.
A Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A Squared For This Useful Post:
creeper (03-10-2014), Startingover (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2

Cats in beds

Home Depot has "havaheart" traps for $40. They work best. Animal control will pick up any cat you trap.

We have the same law, all pets have to be contained.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Startingover For This Useful Post:
creeper (03-10-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #8

Cats in beds

Wow! I didn't think about that!
bawilliams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #9

Cats in beds

.22 CB's and a Marlin 39-A took care of my cat problem. Quick, quiet and effective. I first asked my neighbor to keep her cats in her own yard. She said they're half wild and that they can go where ever they want. Apparently they wanted to go under ground.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #10

Cats in beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejss View Post
.22 CB's and a Marlin 39-A took care of my cat problem. Quick, quiet and effective. I first asked my neighbor to keep her cats in her own yard. She said they're half wild and that they can go where ever they want. Apparently they wanted to go under ground.

May be best to NOT dispense such untimely advice.

Most assuredly, they Did NOT apparently want to go underground. YOU, wanted to kill them...end of story...

Next time call animal control...its part of your tax package service.

Not sure I'd turn my back when that neighbour is around,,,good luck,,,you may need it
Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #11

Cats in beds

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
May be best to NOT dispense such untimely advice.

Most assuredly, they Did NOT apparently want to go underground. YOU, wanted to kill them...end of story...

Next time call animal control...its part of your tax package service.

Not sure I'd turn my back when that neighbour is around,,,good luck,,,you may need it
Untimely advice? When would be the right time? Tax package service? Not sure what that is exactly. Do they package taxes?
We don't have an animal control officer in my town, and if you call the police they tell you that they don't handle animal complaints.
When I spoke to my neighbor he basically told me to go to hell, his cats can do what they want.
I handled it my way and now I don't have his cat crap and piss in my garden, and the world still seems to have plenty of cats to go around.
If you don't like my solution, that's fine, come up with your own. I simply will not deal with someone else's critter's filth on my property and I will not buy a forty dollar trap just to relocate the pest somewhere else.
Besides, apparently cats make good fertilizer. Best tomatoes we ever grew!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #12

Cats in beds

[QUOTE=Davejss;1319586]Untimely advice? When would be the right time? Tax package service? Not sure what that is exactly. Do they package taxes?
We don't have an animal control officer in my town, and if you call the police they tell you that they don't handle animal complaints.
When I spoke to my neighbor he basically told me to go to hell, his cats can do what they want.
I handled it my way and now I don't have his cat crap and piss in my garden, and the world still seems to have plenty of cats to go around.
If you don't like my solution, that's fine, come up with your own. I simply will not deal with someone else's critter's filth on my property and I will not buy a forty dollar trap just to relocate the pest somewhere else.
Besides, apparently cats make good fertilizer. Best tomatoes we ever grew![/QUOTE]

Ewwww..

Good thing we are not neighbours then, because around here that's called animal cruelty and your butt would be up on charges.

the world has plenty of bully's to go around too.

Sidenote: It the Op was interested in killing off the neighbours pets Im quite certain he would not be asking for advice. Just as you probably didn't ask for alternatives before you decided to kill them.

Last edited by creeper; 03-10-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #13

Cats in beds

Cows, chickens, lambs, pigs, deer, rabbits, etc. These things we can kill to eat and most people don't have a problem. Coyotes, fishers, weasels, etc. These critters we can kill if they're getting our livestock or pets, and most people don't have a problem. But a cat using my food garden for a toilet and an owner who couldn't care less that my family has to deal with it's filthy excrement, that critter I can't kill? Sorry buddy, my health and comfort far outweigh those of a cat every time.
And one well placed bullet in the head provides near instant death, hardly cruelty.
If you don't want your cat dead don't let it crap in my veggies. Pretty simple.
There are a few good solutions here. Mine is only one. If the OP doesn't like mine then who cares? Pick another one. I was just offering up the one that worked for me.

Last edited by Davejss; 03-10-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #14

Cats in beds

I don't make the laws and neither do you. Whether you like it or not shooting cats is still illegal, regardless if you fancy yourself a sharpshooter of defenseless domestic pets

Is it possible that one day you could make a mistake ...the neighbours cat for the little girl down the blocks kitty...what happens when you shoot her beloved pussy cat???

Last edited by creeper; 03-10-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #15

Cats in beds

I took 30 seconds out of my life and researched an alternative for you. Providing you are willing to take a trip to the dollar store....bamboo barbeque skewers sticking out of the soil in your veggie patch will keep kitty out... ...Your welcome...