Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Building a Greenhouse

I am building a greenhouse in my backyard. 12' X 12' with pressure treated framing. I have already run the electrical circuit outside for future electrical installations in the greenhouse such as receptacles for fans, lighting etc. I am working with a friend on some framing ideas now and plan to starts soon. The greenhouse will be anchored to the ground through the studs with rebar. Any suggestions on plastics to use? ventilation systems? mist systems or anything else i may not have thought about?

Frank Rizzo 951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 12

Building a Greenhouse

I am confused by your post. You start out by saying you are building the greenhouse, in fact you have already done the wiring. Then you say you are working on the design of framing. Then you say you are going to anchor the greenhouse using rebar through the studs. That would be a new technique I have never seen. Perhaps you could explain exactly how you plan to anchor the greenhouse to the ground using rebar through the studs.

As for your question on plastics, are you thinking about plastic ceiling and wall panels? Maybe you could post a sketch of your design, I am pretty lost as to what you are thinking. Most folks I know build their greenhouses from a kit, or buy a design book for greenhouses. There are a lot of important issues, like ventilation, heating, thermal mass, that require some experience to get right.

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #3

Building a Greenhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I am confused by your post. You start out by saying you are building the greenhouse, in fact you have already done the wiring. Then you say you are working on the design of framing. Then you say you are going to anchor the greenhouse using rebar through the studs. That would be a new technique I have never seen. Perhaps you could explain exactly how you plan to anchor the greenhouse to the ground using rebar through the studs.
Let me clarify, I ran the electrical out of my attic to a weather box, I havent run any electrical to the site yet its just there ready for when i get the framing done.. And as far as the anchoring, it was suggested to me by a friend because I didnt want to cement the posts into the ground. He suggested i drill holes through the bottom plates and drive rebar down into the ground to anchor the greenhouse.

I plan on putting plastic sheeting on around the entire exterior. I am not using a kit, i wanted to do it all from scratch. I was just looking for suggestions as far as the type of plastic others have used and what yielded the best results. I wish I could draw up a quality sketch but I am not the best artist, the framing is going to be very simple with the all studs 24" on center and the roof will be slightly pitched for rain etc.sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by Frank Rizzo 951; 04-29-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

Building a Greenhouse

I was thinking something similar to this design. But instead of the A frame it will just be a slightly pitched roof. All of the Openings will be covered in sheeting.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Building a Greenhouse

Your foundation scheme is akin to pitching a tent! I fear your greenhouse is going to blow away in the first good wind since you have a lot of sail effect anchored to nothing really but rebar.

And even treated lumber in contact with the soil will decompose. And you are going to be subjecting yours to misters and so forth too? I would pour a foundation for this thing.

I would also encourage you to buy a set of greenhouse plans or a kit that has all the mechanicals detailed. Then rethink your construction plans.

And what purpose will the greenhouse serve? Starting plants? Growing orchids? Medical marijuana? In the case of orchids the most important key to growing them is fresh air so you would want to automate your ventilation to open and close vents and maybe windows.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #6

Building a Greenhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Your foundation scheme is akin to pitching a tent! I fear your greenhouse is going to blow away in the first good wind since you have a lot of sail effect anchored to nothing really but rebar.

And even treated lumber in contact with the soil will decompose. And you are going to be subjecting yours to misters and so forth too? I would pour a foundation for this thing.

I would also encourage you to buy a set of greenhouse plans or a kit that has all the mechanicals detailed. Then rethink your construction plans.

And what purpose will the greenhouse serve? Starting plants? Growing orchids? Medical marijuana? In the case of orchids the most important key to growing them is fresh air so you would want to automate your ventilation to open and close vents and maybe windows.
I thought about the wind but this will be built in the corner of my yard and will be right next to a 5' high concrete wall on two sides so I didn't think the wind thing would be a problem although I may be wrong, I am new to this. I will check out some greenhouse plans, if you have any links to find some that would be great. The purpose of the greenhouse will be mostly for starting trees and plants. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #7

Building a Greenhouse

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=green+house
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redman88 For This Useful Post:
Frank Rizzo 951 (05-01-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #8

Building a Greenhouse

Some greenhouse styles are modular and can grow with you. That way you can start small and expand. Modular units are also well-suited to mixed applications. You can keep plants in different sections of the greenhouse separated by a divider.
If displaying your plants to advantage is one of your primary goals, a conservatory or sunroom may be the best choice. They're more expensive than bare-bones greenhouses but can be stunning additions to a property.

woodlandpatio is offline   Reply With Quote