Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #1

Share |

Blueberries and Raspberries

I just received 10 raspberry bareroot plants and 2 bareroot blueberry bushes. I have a raised bed on the south side of a barn that is 4 ft x 24ft. Originally I thought I'd plant the raspberries together and then the blueberries all in one bed, but realize this is not ideal.

My other thought was that I could plant the raspberries in the 4x24 ft bed and then plant one blueberry bush on either side of the raised beds. Does this sound like it would be okay? The two blueberries would be 24ft apart with raspberries in between:

B [R R R R R R R R R R] B

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #2

It would work, but I would put the blueberries together from a maintenance perspective. Raspberries can be invasive when they send out runners. I think it would be easier to control it from one side of the blueberries vs. two sides.

user1007 (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
It would work, but I would put the blueberries together from a maintenance perspective. Raspberries can be invasive when they send out runners. I think it would be easier to control it from one side of the blueberries vs. two sides.
Thanks. I considered this. The raspberries are inside of a raised bed, so the there is a 7 inch barrier on each side....which might not be deep enough.

If I put them together, I'd have to move them completely away from the raspberries. I might be able to do this, but I wouldn't want it to look all thrown together.

Last edited by cibula11; 04-04-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You might think about planting the rasberries in pvc sleeves you can cut from drain pipe to the depth you need. This works well for containing plants that send out runners from spreading where you do not want them. Make sure you get them wide enough so you can get a spade in to thin them once every few seasons.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
creeper (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #5

Blueberries like slightly-acidic soil. If your soil is not naturally acidic, you should lower the ph to between 4 & 5. http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edib...lueberries.htm
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #6

Thanks for suggestions. I think we're going to keep the entire south facing bed raspberries and then plant our blueberries on the east facing side of our barn. This way we can amend the soil to better suit blueberries and have more space to let them grow without the concern of raspberries invading their space.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #7

Also, be aware that it can take a few years before a blueberry bush will fruit. Apparently, they also won't fruit the year after pruning (whoops, my wife's going to be upset)

Here's another good resource: http://www.almanac.com/plant/blueberries

Oh, and some blueberry bushes need to cross-polinate, to produce fruits. Therefore, you must mix different varieties of blueberry bushes within a 100 foot area.

Last edited by Seattle2k; 04-05-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Don't forget to plant real french vanilla ice cream or yogurt bushes or trees?

You should not have a problem getting rid of rasberries and blueberries. I know a certain guy in Chicago that will take as many as you cannot use and even pay you fairly if you can find away to ship them ripe. Remember, they are all going to turn ripe near at once.

As a kid, I sold wonderful ripe apricots from household trees that would never make it to stores because they would not stand up to shipping unless individually wrapped. I got $5/bag and had to keep making the bags bigger to get rid of them. Cherries too! And figs! And plums/prunes. There were just too many around at one time.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote