Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care > Gardening Forum

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Baby trees arrived from Arbor Day Foundation.

I hope this is the right forum to post this. I just received 10 small, bare root flowering trees from Arbor Day. There are pretty good instructions about starting these trees. The instructions said to put them in water 3-6 hours. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to plant them today so they are going to have to sit in the water overnight. I was previously under the impression that I would just plant them where I wanted them to be permanantly but they recommend that you plant them in a protected garden for 1-2 years to let them grow and then transplant them to their permanant location during a dormant period. Tis seems like a better choice for me anyway since I'm not sure where I want them to be permanantly yet. One of the pairs of trees wants partial shade.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has had experience starting trees like this and can share some advice.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

After soaking ,I just planted them in 5 gallon pails with perforated bottoms---

A layer of gravel--then a mix of potting soil and good old dirt---all four survived--

Old 05-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

I think Mike has it. If they are easy to get to and water, they are more likely to survive.
cleveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
Architectural Sculptor

I had a bunch of those from Arbor Day a few years back, unfortunately not one of them grew, every one of them died off before doing much of anything. Hopefully you'll have better luck!

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I have no idea how those things come wrapped but it can be tough to start tiny trees. Nurseries, at least in California, do just what is suggested and start in one gallon containers, then move up to five, etc. They of course sell them in all sizes.

I think you can give them a fighting chance in fivers to start and of course protect them from chewing critters. You want mainly root and stem growth in the early years so you want to use a balanced fertilizer without a lot of nitrogen to start. If you can swing it, some container drip emitters will keep them moist which is critical also.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #6

I broke sod and got 8 of them in the ground in two adjacent patches abour 5x5 each and put two of them in 5 gallon buckets like Mike suggested. I thought about putting them all in buckets but had a hard time finding a local place online that sells topsoil. So I filled two buckets with dirt from the gardens I created. I forgot how much labor goes into breaking up sod for a new garden. I didn't want to pay retail for bagged topsoil at Home Depot.

I also put a 2ft chicken wire fence around the gardens. I'll have to post pictures. The problem is some of these trees had already started sprouting in transit. They were supposed to be dormant.

The Arbor Day suggested they be 2.5 feet apart and use dirt only, no potting soil. I got 2 of each- Sargent Crabapples, Washington Hawthorns, White Dogwoods, Eastern Redbuds and Goldenraintrees.

I'll have to wait and see how many of them survive. So far only the Crabapples have visable buds on them.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #7

Pictures as promised in no particular order. So far, 7 out of the ten trees have signs of life. The Sargent crab apples seem to be doing the best. They had already started growing in the package (Out of dormancy). There is no sign of life so far from one of my flowering dogwoods (in the bucket) or the two golden raintrees which is unfortunate. I was looking forward to seeing those golden raintrees.

I thought about putting them all in buckets as was suggested but could not find a topsoil supplier near me that sold small amounts and did not want to pay full retail for the packaged topsoil. So I put the two that like partial shade, the dogwoods so they could be moved into shade if necessary. They all get shade in the morning then full sun from early afternoon on.
Attached Thumbnails
Baby trees arrived from Arbor Day Foundation.-p1000879.jpg   Baby trees arrived from Arbor Day Foundation.-p1000880.jpg   Baby trees arrived from Arbor Day Foundation.-p1000881.jpg   Baby trees arrived from Arbor Day Foundation.-p1000882.jpg   Baby trees arrived from Arbor Day Foundation.-p1000883.jpg  

Baby trees arrived from Arbor Day Foundation.-p1000884.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

Those sure are tiny----but they look healthy---
Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 26

I hope you are not expecting a nice shade tree in your life time
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #10

These are flowering trees for decorative purposes. Shade wasn't really a consideration.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I hope you are not expecting a nice shade tree in your life time
Once and only once have I seen a strip mine. It was run by Kaiser Permanente to grab gravel or something. As I drove to deliver a truck load of tree stakes to the place it looked like just another Northern California foothill. Once I passed security and got to the other side it was science fiction surreal and I was dodging Earth gobbling equipment I have never seen since.

And before me was a hollowed out wasteland. The California EPA had nailed the company for its practices and had forced them to terrace and plant trees to help deal with erosion and reforest what they had damaged. The contract called for staking the trees. Imagine thousands of little sticks like the OP got about to get 8 foot tree stakes.

I never went back to the site but I wonder if any of trees made it.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 26

[QUOTE=sdsester;1208342]Once and only once have I seen a strip mine. It was run by Kaiser Permanente to grab gravel or something. As I drove to deliver a truck load of tree stakes to the place it looked like just another Northern California foothill. Once I passed security and got to the other side it was science fiction surreal and I was dodging Earth gobbling equipment I have never seen since.

And before me was a hollowed out wasteland. The California EPA had nailed the company for its practices and had forced them to terrace and plant trees to help deal with erosion and reforest what they had damaged. The contract called for staking the trees. Imagine thousands of little sticks like the OP got about to get 8 foot tree stakes.

I never went back to the site but I wonder if any of trees made it.[/QUOTE]

If they were never watered, probably none
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

[QUOTE=chrisn;1208576]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Once and only once have I seen a strip mine. It was run by Kaiser Permanente to grab gravel or something. As I drove to deliver a truck load of tree stakes to the place it looked like just another Northern California foothill. Once I passed security and got to the other side it was science fiction surreal and I was dodging Earth gobbling equipment I have never seen since.

I never went back to the site but I wonder if any of trees made it.[/QUOTE]

If they were never watered, probably none
It is sad.