Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Working with 1/4" dry wall

I have a 1942 Sears kit home and all of the remaining original walls are plywood. As I have done remodeling I have removed the ply and replaces it with dry wall.
I am now working on a small hallway that is 3' wide 8.5' long and 8' tall- with (believe it or not) 6 doorways in it. My main project in the area is to replace all the door trim since the existing has 70+ years of paint fouling it. While I have the trim off- door and floor, it occurred to me that it may make sense to pull off the plywood and replace it. If I use 1/4" drywall I won't need to replace all 6 of the door frames- 1/2" will leave the wall proud of the existing frames.
My concern is that I've read that 1/4" drywall is really only for covering damaged paneling or drywall. On the other hand the space I am in so broken up with doors that I don't know if there is space for the drywall to sag. The north wall (3')has a door and only 14" of wallspace. The south wall (3') has a door and 6" total wallspace. The east wall (8.5') has 3 doors and 24" wallspace. And finally the west wall (8.5') has one door and 5.5' of running wallspace.
Sorry this is so long and so many measurements but I'm really torn on what to do- thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Working with 1/4" dry wall-img_0783.jpg   Working with 1/4" dry wall-img_0786.jpg  

lokisince89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 30

My first reaction is to say no because 1/4" has no strength and if someone hits or bumps it you have a hole. But since this is a small area you may get away with it if you add quite a bit of cross bracing- horizontal-between the studs.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 88

Why are you removing any of the plywood?
Just go right over it with 1/4 drywall.

If you leave the drywall 2" from the rough open the trim will still work with just a little bit of caulking needed on the outside of the casing, no jamb extention needed.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Someone sure did a good job in building that house on its side, along with attaching all objects so that they do not move or fall.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 88

Must be why they used plywood so the pictures could be screwed to the wall.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-28-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #6

May need to check the fire-rating of the 1/4", needs wood/plywood or other under it for safety. USG says use only in multilayer systems or on solid surfaces; Table 3; http://www.lafarge-na.com/GA-216-07_English.pdf

There is a reason it's not in the code: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...002_par010.htm

Gary
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 16

Quarter inch drywall is for building curved walls or substituting for a skim coat of plaster. You would use at least two layers on bare framing.

Even with bracing behind it, one layer of 1/4" drywall is still fragile.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
automated tool pro

1)pull your trim and base leave the crown molding alone.
2)replace the trim around the doorways.
3)hang the quarter inch over the plywood, bumping it into the the door trim and crown molding.
4)finish the sheetrock flat taping next to the trim if necessary.
5)Caulk and paint.

this is the easiest way and the only issue you should have is the base molding where it meets the door trim will be off a 1/4 inch. You'll need extensions for your electric boxes.