Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #1

Share |

Why is this happening

Sorry for the vague title, but I have paint that over a year, has continuously kept cracking and chipping off my drywall. I've had the roof replaced and ice guard put on and it hasn't even slowed down.

Click thumbnail:

I have about 15 of these spots on the ceiling and the walls are just as bad.

What is causing this? Moisture? And what should I do?

spare-time jobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #2

Why is this happening

it's kind of hard to tell from your pictures, but could it be a drywall screw/nail popping out?

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #3

Why is this happening

It's bubbling out. I've heard it can do that from water damage but I am baffled at that suggestion because the roof was fine when the roofers tore off the old roof and replaced it with a new one and ice guard.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Why is this happening

What is the substrate? Sheetrock or plaster? Did you do the paint job? How did you prep it? Prime?

Either your paint or your substrate is failing. Moisture can cause this, so can movement, heating/cooling cycles, etc. Until you fix whatever the underlying problem is, it will probably continue. Regardless, you are going to have to remove all loose/peeling/chipping paint, prime and repaint.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #5

Why is this happening

I bought the house in 04 and it was fine back then. It's a rental. Never had to do any work in that room. I am a novice home repair guy, noob if you will.

So I never painted or primed it but I would use probably 3 coats of prime then 3 coats on ceiling and maybe 2 on the walls.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #6

Why is this happening

Actually that's a trolling kind of remark but it's cool, no apologies necessary.

And why would you ask me about the substrate if I said it's drywall? Is Sheetrock Drywall? Is Plaster Drywall?

I appreciate your help so far but if you could leave/unsubscribe from this thread, that would be even better, no offense. Thanks.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 06-19-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: removed quote from post, per rules
Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #7

Why is this happening

It could be nail pops or water damage, both already mentioned. You could fix them but they could reappear without fixing the problem, as mentioned. This on nail pops; http://www.paintsource.net/pages/sol...ood_shrink.htm

It sounds more like water damage (because of bubbles), repair was already posted. Check in attic over spots for missing vapor barrier plastic sheeting or paper-faced fiberglass batts. Check for condensation water dripping from uninsulated bath fans/hood fan. Check for frost on exposed roofing nails dripping and wetting drywall ceiling, a stretch.....Since it's not the roof leaking, it must be another water source, a picture in attic would help......
We have an excellent "Painting" section for a new post about that repaint.....

Gary
Old 06-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
DIY staff

Why is this happening

This type of failure can also occur when paint is applied over a first coat that has nor dried yet.

You mentioned something about many coats of paint---It could be that the paints were applied to quickly and previous coats were not dry.