Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #1

Share |
Question

why ceiling first?

why is it important to hang the ceiling before walls?

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Love for Construction

why ceiling first?

If you hang the ceiling first, you don't screw the edge that will be supported by the sheet that is going on the wall, this will allow for a little movement in the ceiling during climate changes, and help alleviate any cracking that might occur. Another reason is that the ceiling sheets are only attached to the ceiling joists every 16-24" whereas the wall sheets will have the top plate to attach to the whole length of the wall.

When you hang the wall you want to make sure the wall sheet butts firmly against the ceiling sheet.

amakarevic (03-26-2012), oh'mike (03-31-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #3

why ceiling first?

makes sense. thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

why ceiling first?

When hanging ceilings, we always screwed the edges as well. I have never seen it done without edge nailing/screwing. I do agree with the wall sheets helping to hold up the edges though. It also gives you some play when cutting and fitting the ceiling sheets. Hard to make adjustments when your hanging sheets over your head. Much easier to make adjustments on the wall sheets.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Love for Construction

why ceiling first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
When hanging ceilings, we always screwed the edges as well. I have never seen it done without edge nailing/screwing. I do agree with the wall sheets helping to hold up the edges though. It also gives you some play when cutting and fitting the ceiling sheets. Hard to make adjustments when your hanging sheets over your head. Much easier to make adjustments on the wall sheets.
It gets done both ways, I don't think there is a right or wrong, the way I was taught and have done it, is how I explained. There are installers out there that don't even secure vertical corners at the corner, they let it float, to help alleviate cracking, I don't do this. I believe people call this "floating corners" you can google it if you want more information. But nevertheless, the wall sheets do help support the ceiling due to having gaps of 16-24" between each joist.

Last edited by <*(((><; 03-26-2012 at 04:40 PM.
<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #6

why ceiling first?

To further expound on what Luke said: The floating edges was one of the solutions brought out to combat the 'truss uplift' problem. If you have a trussed ceiling with walls running underneath, the bottom chord of the truss will sometimes lift in the winter time in cold climates and settle back down in the spring. I have only seen them lift aprox. 1/4". I have heard of much worse. The drywall industry instructed you to not put any fasteners in the ceiling drywall within 12" of a wall joint below. After taping and finishing, the joint could allow some flex from the truss uplift without cracking. There were also clips availabe if I remember right that were like angle clipped around the edge of the drywall and had a nailing slot that fastened to the wall. It would let the ceiling drywall move up and down slightly.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #7

why ceiling first?

i don't have a trussed ceiling. i have an attick in between to small vertically to be used.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #8

why ceiling first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
i don't have a trussed ceiling. i have an attick in between to small vertically to be used.
Then you can go ahead and screw the sheets all the way around and not worry about anything moving.
Mike Hawkins
Old 04-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

why ceiling first?

From my personal experience, the "corner clips" were for contractors too cheap to frame actual corner and tee posts in the houses. They were a pain in the a**. Made for slower hanging when you were working "piece" rate". Thankfully they were only used by a couple of builders I did work for and the "craze" didn't last long....
Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #10

why ceiling first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
From my personal experience, the "corner clips" were for contractors too cheap to frame actual corner and tee posts in the houses. They were a pain in the a**. Made for slower hanging when you were working "piece" rate". Thankfully they were only used by a couple of builders I did work for and the "craze" didn't last long....
Different type of clip then what I was referencing above BJ. I do remember what you are talking about. The drywall contractor doing work for us back then mentioned them. I remember them as you said, a way to save a stud in a corner. And that's back when studs were about a buck apiece. We never used them.
Mike Hawkins
Old 04-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

why ceiling first?

No kidding, but I guess 100 studs per house X 100 houses in a subdivision = $10,000 as probably $25 for a box of 1000 (I'm guessing) clips. And they were "mass production" homes, "no frills". I ended up with a pretty full box after the last house I did (Pulte or Ryan Homes I think) and kept them around for several years (can't get rid of crap). Finally "parted" with them and then got to thinking, the aluminum was probably worth a 12 pack....

firehawkmph (04-01-2012)