Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 PM   #1

Share |

When to replace wet drywall ?

Would appreciate any advice regarding When To Replace Drywall That Has been Wet?
Plumbing problem on third floor saturated a good portion of our drywall. Origin of leak saw the drywall crumble off and was mushy. Other places sustained some water, however they were dried out and still have rigidity to the wall.
Any test to determine what walls are still capable of being saved. Obvious sagging or distortion of the plane seems pretty straightforward, however several walls that did get wet and lost the paint appear to be sound now that all the moisture is gone.
Thanx Glenn

summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #2

Anywere your drywall got wet it has lost a portion of its integrity and strength. If the paint came off, my suggestion would be to replace the drywall for sure. It isn't designed to get wet, and although you might be able to cover it up, it isn't necessarily advisable. Mold is another potential issue, as the drywall is capable of retaining a good amount of moisture.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

We use a moisture meter, when the conditions of the leak occurred recent to the inspection time.

Other than that, you generally remove the poor material until you hit more of the stabilized areas. By stabilized, I mean, areas such as your walls that have dried out well, and the drywall has kept it's shape and integrity.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #4

We often run into this question in water damage work; we feel the answer is quicker to supply than the time it takes to investigate the question: replace it.

OK, we work with hyper-sensitive insurance companies that are looking out for their reputation intact far more than they are looking to save $4 in keeping some drywall. And they are quite firm about such a question: if there's moisture, replace it. IN THE LONG RUN, they are right.

To take down a sheet of drywall costs them 15 minutes of my time or about $9. A new sheet costs about $10. Replacing the new sheet about an hour. Letting the insurance company rep sleep at night knowing he won't get his butt sued for mould problems down the road? Priceless.

Sure, we could cut out the damaged areas and save the replacement costs. Time is about the same...so the difference is about $10. In fact, it actually less, because there's less fuss with new drywall when it comes to painting etc. So in the long run, it's cheaper to replace.

OK, so that's dealing with insurance companies. But when you look at it they're not far off the mark. Imagine you cutting out the damaged areas, replacing that with a piece, painting one or two coats with a primer for water damage to hide the stains, patching it all up, then adding a second coat of paint to make it all even...sure it's more cost effective if you don't value in your time. But suppose you have mould problems you didn't see...start again.

My guys take down drywall sheets and replace them in 15 minutes and I can guarantee no mould plus a perfect paint job. I don't come back to fix it - don't need to. Cost to me: $1/square foot. Cheap.

And I sleep real well...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #5

Thanx for the feedback.. Kind of thought that's what I would hear. Off to buy the drywall, now!!

Thanx again !
summers is offline   Reply With Quote