DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What's a good drywall to use?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Sir MixAlot 
#1 ·
I thought I found a good drywall product with Gold Bond Gypsum Board (5/8) but after doing some research, I found reports that claimed that since this product is made in China, it had some problems (terrible odor – ppl complaining of headaches and getting sick). So I wanted to know if anyone can recommend a reputable drywall? This drywall will be used in every room in our home as we are currently rebuilding. Our foundation was just done so finding the perfect drywall for our needs is next! Thank you in advance!

#3 ·
#4 ·
The only place 5/8 should be being used is on the ceilings, the wall use 1/2".
That Chinese drywall was an issue years ago and has been addressed and is no longer an issue.

Reactions: New@This
#8 ·
Definitely Google all that goes into sound proofing or reducing sound in a house. An extra 1/8 inch of drywall won't make that much of a difference. You need insulation and to seal every area sound can intrude. And since you live in a warmer climate I would imagine you'll have your windows open a lot of times, so that all literally goes out the window.

#9 · (Edited)
5/8 drywall won't make much difference - if you're looking for any real sound attenuation that's basically a waste of your time. You're going to want to look seriously into the topic, as it's a real science. Look up drywal STC and go from there. You're on the right track with QuietRock, Green Glue, etc. Setting up the wall correctly probably has as much to do with it as anything else, such as a staggered stud assembly, etc.

When sound hits a sheetrock wall, the sheetrock effectively acts like a drum head, or speaker. It literally vibrates, transmitting the sound to the other side. Do you think it makes much difference if a speaker cone or drum head were 25% thicker? No, not much. You want a better means.

#11 ·
biginner.....your in my neck of the woods....

Go to Westwood building materials....Manhattan Beach/Inglewood.

http://www.westwoodbm.com/

They are open Saturday mornings....until noon

They are just slightly cheaper than HD....about the only thing HD carries now is the light weight stuff....and unless you have some high places to hang it...I prefer the real stuff.

#13 ·
Thank you, Sir MixALot, I found a ton of information on that link... some confirms what I already researched and there's new stuff which is really helpful!
No problem. I'm happy to be able to help. :thumbsup:
Be sure to keep us posted as your project progresses. :thumbup:

#7 ·
Thanks joecaption, I'm in Torrance, CA. I was told that 1/2 does not provide very good protection against noise (paper thin) and that 5/8 would be best. We live near a very busy intersection and could pretty much hear every car’s horn during rush hour. Also, in our media room, we were going to double up - two 5/8 sheets using green glue. I looked into QuietRock but at over $50 a sheet, didn’t seem too cost effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.