Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 516

What to use to cover the window framing when drywall wont fit?

OK i have a possibly unique question. Around windows, i do not intend to use any type of molding or trim at all. Its just too time consuming and i dont want to. I know most windowsills are covered with drywall, and then the corner is taped and mudded. However, i cant do that with these windows, because the track is so narrow, the drywall covers it up and the window wont work with it there. So is it possible to use paper tape and tape across the seam of the drywall meeting the wood, then just paint the wood the same color as the drywall?
I cannot afford to replace the windows at the time, and im not sure how else to cover the bare edge of the drywall. Even if i did put molding on it, it still would be bare wood around the window. Here is a couple of pics of how thin the window sills are.
Help? What should i do?
Attached Thumbnails
What to use to cover the window framing when drywall wont fit?-living-room-drywall2.jpg   What to use to cover the window framing when drywall wont fit?-front-wall-insulation-wires.jpg  

Old 05-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,054

Are those 2 X 3's instead of 2 X 4's?
If so they should have been built out so you could at least meet minimun insulation standards. Looks like you may end up with R-11.
With those type windows your going to end up with condinsation which will ruin any sheetrock returns.

Most mobil homes use paneling over the jams and outside corner moulding to form the corners.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 524

Sorry to rain on your parade but you need to do some wood trim. And anytime you do a remodel like that it all has to come up to modern code! that means 1/2 inch sheetrock 5/8's on the Lid r-21 exterior walls if 2x6 or r-19 if 2x4. 2x3 is not code for anything any more not even cheap manufactured homes. So I hope the building inspector does not red flag you when he sees that.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

They make "corner guards" (shields) that are meant to go on wall corners to keep cart traffic from damaging the corner. You can see them in most super markets. I think the majority of them are made of metal, but you might be able to find some plastic ones you can trim down on a table saw.

As usual... blindfold the inspector.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #5

joe: they are 2x4's and i was able to use normal fiberglass insulation, i think it was R-13

nailbags: they're not 2x3's. Those are only in the interior walls. I refused to use 1/2" sheetrock, it was costly and the original stuff was 3/8" so thats what i went back with. Except in the bathroom, and thats only because they dont make greenboard thinner than 1/2". There is no building inspector here, no codes are enforced and no permits required. I am trying to do most things to code, but not that.

Willie: No inspector. Not even electric has to be inspected.

I guess we will have to put like 1/4" plywood on them then, i dont know what else to do since sheetrock wont work there. Even if there was an inspector, he would never see it because almost all of the walls are already closed in. thankfully i dont have to worry about that.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
joe: they are 2x4's and i was able to use normal fiberglass insulation, i think it was R-13

Willie: No inspector. Not even electric has to be inspected.
WOW! I hope you are Journeyman Electriction! How do you know your electrical is good? if no inspection? Got insurance? does the Insurance company know non of the work has been inspected? How do you know that everything is to code? What id your going to sell it have to move and some one brings a bank in to play? The bank is going to want to see records of the inspections. Insane not to go through the permit process. Because I knew a guy that did what your doing with out permits and got to sheetrock the county came in red flagged him and the county made him as they watched tear out the sheet rock pull out the insulation so they could verify the electrical and plumbing. I hope you don't get caught.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #7

thanks but i talked to the authorities. there is no inspector and no permits to get. the only thing a permit applies to is adding square footage or new construction. remodels dont count. and the electric is pretty basic, nothing extraordinary. just receptacles, switches and light fixtures. i have a friend who is an electrician that i plan to have him look at the breaker box but otherwise im pretty confident in our work
Old 06-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

For Pete's sake, girl, look them up......

https://www.google.com/search?q=corn...w=1330&bih=639

They make all sizes and colors.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,276

Hard to tell from the pic but is it just the thickness of the drywall? If it is a J bead will cover it. Too late to do anything now but if you have more drywall to do, don't end it and make a joint at the corner of a window like that it will crack. But since it's already there you had better use dura bond and paper tape just for the extra strength. Mesh tape will never hold it.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,054

Huge mistake going with 3/8 drywall. You needed all the R value you can get, 1/2 would have at least given you a tiny little bit more.
Less sound deadning.
It will bust out if it's just leaned on or just bump with anything.
It also flexes far more so the seams and fastners may pop,
Old 06-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #11

thats what you say, but there havent been any issues yet. too late now anyway, the place is already drywalled and most of it is mudded and taped. thanks for your concern
Old 06-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
automated tool pro

Rewards Points: 150

just an observation. you're due for cracking because of the way you have hung this. Never run your joints up/down the windows frame. I know it is more work, but always put your joints over the top or under the bottom of the middle est part of the window. Those joints will crack, guaranteed!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #13

well i guess when they do, ill mud them and paint them again. Its a mobile home, i imagine ill be dealing with cracked sheetrock the rest of my life.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #14

so you saved? 1.00 a sheet to stay with 3/8? that is what called stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. you had the the whole place gutted it would have been worth the extra dollars to put in 1/2 tough guard sheetrock. what is the square footage 1,000 sqf at best? that would be 3,250 sq feet of sheetrock 102 panels around 790 dollars that is enough for ceiling and walls I also checked the price of 3/8 Vs 1/2 inch same price and yes I checked the local lowes in your area and Home Depot.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #15

its too late now to do anything, even if i wanted to change it. The walls are already up.