Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #1

Share |

What to use above the tub surround?

I'm putting in a tub surround...fastened to the studs, and not planning to tile.

So, what to put on the walls...not drywall...greenboard...or something better.

Suggestions...primers...paints...brands, etc...would be much appreciated.

This is a great forum. Just want to say thanks to all the previous commentors on my other thread.

Ed

Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #2

I would use green board, a good primer, and a high quality paint.

Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanchek View Post
I would use green board, a good primer, and a high quality paint.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking...but I've seen a lot of comments, saying that you don't use green board in wet areas, like showers. Maybe, they meant, "not by itself, or not down low."

I was wondering if there might be something that I didn't know about...maybe a new product on the market.

The green board will definitely get wet when I shower, even though the surround is 70 inches tall...because I'm taller than that...so there's the splash issue.

Other than finishing the wall out with tile, which I don't want to do, there doesn't seem to be much of a choice.

Thanks, Ed
Old 11-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Actually the "green board" produced these days isn't what the "original" green board was. When you cut the board made before the late 1980's (I'm guessing from recollection as to when the change came about) the "core of the board was a dark brown color as opposed to the "green board" of today. It was "impregnated" with some sort of "oil" or something to help make it "waterproof". It was often used as backer for tile. It naturally failed, often, due to the fact the paper on the board would still allow water to penetrate when caulk/grout failed. The "green board" made now has the same "core" as regular board (as can be seen when it is cut), so it is even more likely to "fail" in a wet area. The paper probably has some more water "resistance" than the early green board, but the core is more likely to fail. Regular drywall will work fine on a tub surround as long as it's installed properly and painted with proper paint. Don't let the drywall sit right on the lip of the surround, as it will eventually start "wicking" water and cause issues. Leave a 1/4" gap, prefill with setting compound, flat tape, and finish. Use a quality "tub" caulk and make sure to re-caulk on a regular basis.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #5

Thanks for your comments...I'm still a ways from putting in my shower base and tub surround...just pulled out an old top plate...and found out that the ceiling was nailed to nailers attached to it...so now it's time to repair the ceiling...go figure...on step forward...and one step backwards...lol.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Tileguy

"Shower base", "tub surround"???

You are only fooling yourself if you think using any type of drywall is going to last more than a few months in a shower without a tile cover or plastic surround cover over the drywall. Doesn't matter what paint you use.

What exactly are you trying to do?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

Bud is correct if those are your intentions. I was assuming you were speaking of what to put ABOVE a surround (tile, marble, or fiberglass).
Old 11-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #8

Maybe I misunderstood. By tub surround, I thought you meant shower surround on a tub, and green rock above the shower surround.
Stanchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Home Remodeler

He stated the surround was 70 inches tall. I think his plan is good.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed911 View Post
Thanks for your comments...I'm still a ways from putting in my shower base and tub surround.
Meant to say, "shower surround" used in conjunction with a shower pan...most of the wall will be covered with the surround...but there will be a two foot section above the shower surround that must be delt with, and the ceiling will also not be tile...
Old 11-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #11

See if you can find USG's sheetrock called Mold Tough. http://www.usg.com/sheetrock-mold-to...um-panels.html It has a moisture and mold resistant core and paper.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #12

My house has been here since 1977 and there is nothing above the shower surround except sheet rock and paint. It has been kept up very well and looks like new. I dont see why anything else is neccessary.
doc_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
liscenced electrician

I can't really help on what to do in your situation, but as far as the sheetrock goes, the Only difference between standard sheetrock and greenboard is that it is made with fiberglass paper, instead of regular paper. It does't let mold grow as easy on the paper. That is the only difference, it is no more water proof or water resistant than regular sheetrock. Water resistant sheetrock is an incorrect term. The correct term is mold resistant.
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
Tileguy

Quote:
jimmy21: "as far as the sheetrock goes, the Only difference between standard sheetrock and greenboard is that it is made with fiberglass paper, instead of regular paper."
Say what? jimmy21 Would you please give us a link to that information on a drywall manufacturer's website for verification. Show us the copy that says "the only difference between standard drywall and green-board is that green-board is made with Fiberglas paper".
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
liscenced electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Say what? jimmy21 Would you please give us a link to that information on a drywall manufacturer's website for verification. Show us the copy that says "the only difference between standard drywall and green-board is that green-board is made with Fiberglas paper".

that is just what i have been told. Looking it up, i guess it is also impregnated with oil to help repel water. My overall point still stands. It is mold resistant and not water resistant.

jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote