Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #1

Share |

What type of texture and how to blend?

I just bought my first home about a month ago and have started making some repairs, more like updates to the house since it's about 15 years old and wasn't that well taken care of. not terrible, but needs things replaced. One of my first projects is remodeling one of the bathrooms. I am starting with replacing the heat lamp and fan. They were separate units and I bought a unit that is all in one. However, I had to take out and replace about a 4'x2' area of drywall. I am still working on the mudding/taping/sanding but am wondering what type of text I have and the best technique to add to the new sheet and to blend it in. Here is a picture of the wall on what the texture looks like. I believe this is skip trowel, am I correct?

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=CIMG0007.jpg

And what is the best way to add this to a new sheet of drywall and blending it in?
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Drywall contractor

Looks like knockdown. Just Google "putting up knockdown texture". Why not add another layer of drywall over the entire ceiling and do a smooth finish?? (I'm not a big fan of texture.)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
Looks like knockdown. Just Google "putting up knockdown texture". Why not add another layer of drywall over the entire ceiling and do a smooth finish?? (I'm not a big fan of texture.)

I don't like any texture at all but I'm not planning on living here forever and to smooth out one ceiling I would end up doing the entire house. That was my original plan but that is going to be a lot of work on smoothing and making things perfect. Or a lot of money on paying someone to make it perfect for me.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
Drywall contractor

Understand. Just a suggestion. I've done a lot of similar repairs where the homeowner just did one room and slicked the ceiling. I tend to agree with your thinking though. My house had stipple when I bought it. I stippled my basement ceilings to match when I did a couple of rooms even though I don't like it.....
Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #5

I would say if it turns out that I stick with this house longer than a couple of years, I may smooth out all the walls and ceilings. Actually I plan on adding 500 feet or so to the back of the house if I stay longer then 2 years. But this is my first home and pretty much am just using it as an investment, maybe a future rental which I do currnetly rent out a couple of rooms right now. The renters pay for my mortgage.Which I just really take that money and put it into the house.

But it looks like I do have knocked down. Looks pretty simple to do, just will need to practice a few times before I spray the ceiling.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Drywall contractor

Absolutely. Try your hand on some scrap drywall first. Even if it's not EXACTLY the same, it shouldn't be noticeable once the whole ceiling is painted. Of course you'll know, but most people don't go into a room and look up at the ceiling. (Except those of us who do this type of work...)
Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #7

i agree this is a nock down that was sprayed on get you a sprayer and a sheet of rock and experiment
you can spay the whole cieling again and put your own print on
the likely hood of you matching this pattern exactly is not good
those who have done this work knows that every person does it diff
we can try to match and for the most part the every day joe
can't see the diff until later
to smooth this cieling would be rather easy
take a 8" 3/4 napp roller make sure you use a good thick frame roller
thin mud down to the consistency of tomatoe soup
your going to use two diff roles
first role the width depending on size and temperture drying time what not role all out then wipe tight
then cross role it against your role you first done
with 12" knife start wipeing tight
last sand and touch up
if you want it smooth this is a perfect way to slick down this ceiling at low cost to your budget
ps if you dont know ask a pro
lrobertstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

if you plan on doing it yourself, buy bag mud specifically made for texture, from USG for example or Tuf Tex. it will do better then box or bucket mud. you have knockdown. the picture looks familiar for some reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stoner529 is offline   Reply With Quote