Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What type of brush for this texture?

We did repairs in our kitchen and had to patch a piece of drywall on our ceiling. The ceiling is a Rosebud texture. Need help finding out the exact brush that created this look. I've attached a pic of the ceiling. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Linda
Attached Thumbnails
What type of brush for this texture?-ceiling.jpg  

onegt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Try dabbing the wet mud with a large sponge. That looks like it will be hard to match.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

My guess is a large "natural sponge" was used to make that pattern.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #4

From what I have found online it is done with a brush stomp, but no where did I find exactly what brush was used.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
Tileguy

That's not a brush stomp. The veining is much smaller using a brush and a brush won't deliver those suck marks.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
That's not a brush stomp. The veining is much smaller using a brush and a brush won't deliver those suck marks.
you might want to read this, it says with a brush and Ive found several other places online that say a brush just not the type of brush. http://drywall101.com/articles/textu...ps/rosebud.php
Old 12-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,110

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fa6n...layer_embedded
If the plan is to match exactly what's up there now and have it blend in, not going to happen in most cases. More often the whole ceiling would have to be redone.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
Ive found several other places online that say a brush just not the type of brush.
Okay great...and you have done how many of these in your past?
You want a name to call your brush? Try "crows-foot".
Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fa6n...layer_embedded
If the plan is to match exactly what's up there now and have it blend in, not going to happen in most cases. More often the whole ceiling would have to be redone.
You are probably right that Ill have to do the whole ceiling over. I tried using a brush like the one in the video and I didnt get the same pattern. I even let the brush lay in a bucket of water overnight to flatten it some but I didnt get the results I wanted. I sure wold hate to have to redo the whole ceiling but seems Ill have to.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
I tried using a brush like the one in the video and I didnt get the same pattern.
Imagine that?

Quote:
I sure wold hate to have to redo the whole ceiling but seems Ill have to.
Just as well save yourself some grief and plan on redoing the entire ceiling. That type of texture is not cookie-cutter and each and everyone can be different. It is rare when a guy can match one of those jobs done by someone else.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

this pattern looks like a leaf pattern to me, like like on a tree? I've seen texture rollers suppoed to leave this pattern or similar. when rolled over wet mud. you might look into texture rollers. probably have to enlarge area to blend in. you might find something suitable without redoing entire ceiling?

as always, just my thoughts

good luck

coupe/Larry

http://www.all-wall.com/Categories/D...xture-Rollers/

some people come here looking for advice to help them with a project.

others come here trying to help those seeking help. some just come for something to do, contradicting others ideas of helping,

this is the closest I've found....http://drywall101.com/articles/textu...ps/rosebud.php

as always, just my thoughts,

good luck

Last edited by coupe; 12-14-2011 at 04:55 PM.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
this pattern looks like a leaf pattern to me, like like on a tree? I've seen texture rollers suppoed to leave this pattern or similar. when rolled over wet mud. you might look into texture rollers. probably have to enlarge area to blend in. you might find something suitable without redoing entire ceiling?

good luck

coupe/Larry

You might be on to something. Is there as maple tree around? Stick a leaf in the mud and pull it off and see what you got.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post

good luck

coupe/Larry

No, this pattern is called rosebud. I googled this pattern and found it all over the internet and it says its stomped with a brush. The picture might not show exactly but its like a flower with petals all around it. Measure about 4" across.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
Tileguy

Why do you people come to a DIY forum for advice and then when you receive advice from seasoned veterans of the trades insist on arguing about the information you are getting?

You are wanting to define something that can't be defined. No two applications are exactly the same. Texturing ceilings can be done in any number of methods using uncountable techniques and tools.

To find a website that says something about the knowledge of the single individual that created the website and then expecting everyone else to agree is baseless and senseless. Especially in this case.

Any number of methods will recreate the pattern you now have, (but not exactly) you will never pin this down to a single tool or a single product.

The thing to do is to buy the tool you think you want to use, mix up some compound, and make up a sample. See if it suits you, then proceed from there.

Just because Bill sees a rosebud doesn't mean John sees a rosebud. I certainly don't.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegt4me View Post
We did repairs in our kitchen and had to patch a piece of drywall on our ceiling. The ceiling is a Rosebud texture. Need help finding out the exact brush that created this look. I've attached a pic of the ceiling. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Linda
That looks like it was applied with a "natural" sponge of some sort. Maybe even a rag, though the pattern is a bit too consistent for that. I'm pretty sure a brush would not create that kind of texture.

If I were you I'd take several sponges, or rags, or whatever, and practice on some of your left-over drywall. If you get something that's really close, try it on the ceiling.

The only time I matched a ceiling texture (after replacing drywall) was a swirl texture, applied with a broom or brush. It was a HUGE pain in the butt, and took me about 3 tries, but I finally got it close enough that nobody can tell the new from old. And what I did was a whole lot easier than what you're trying.

It's almost a gaurantee that you will not get the pattern to match perfectly, so you'll have to decide just how good is good enough. Good luck!

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote