Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #1

Share |

What size board for 15' ceiling?

If I use 8 footers & stagger them they will only overlap by 1 foot in the middle of the room. Is this enough or should I use a 10 footer & cut an 8 footer to make up the remainder, so that the staggered overlap is 5 feet?
S.

sharp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #2

if you only want 2 pieces in each row that is your only option.

you could put an 10 footer in the middle and shorter pieces on either end.

you could use all 10 footers then start with a full one then cut half of one for the end. start the next row with the 5 foot cut off and another 10 footer. that would put the joints 10 feet away from each other.

or use all 8 footers and just start the next row with whatever cutoff you have left from the previous row. that's what i do on flooring and end up with hardly no waste.

or cut random lengths to start each row with so the joints are staggered

Last edited by DannyT; 11-12-2012 at 01:15 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Or you could use 16 footers and eliminate the butt joints completely. Rent or borrow a lift.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-12-2012), oodssoo (11-20-2012), ToolSeeker (11-15-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
JOATMON

I believe the min overlap for boards is 4'.

In my personal opinion....the $$ difference between 8' vs 16' is nothing compared to the amount of labor involved in trying to make what your proposing work. Additionally....it's going to create havoc when you go to put up the drywall....your 12" or 16" OC is going to be off on one side or the other.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #5

16 footers wont fit into my basement...

The joists seem pretty uneven so I'll just do the best I can with what I have

S.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #6

I ended up using 10 footers, cut down to fit the joists, then made up the difference with a shorter piece. Looks great!

Next question. Big room that is 23' x 10'. I am using 2 12 footers along the first wall. The pot lights are pretty much centered 2' in. Should I do one row along one wall, then another row on the other wall (with centered pot lights), then fill in the middle strip?

S.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp21 View Post
16 footers wont fit into my basement...

The joists seem pretty uneven so I'll just do the best I can with what I have

S.
Wouldn't you agree that is an 'important' fact? Had you told us that up front, you would have had a more accurate answer.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #8

I know it is already done, but perhaps for a future reader.
I would use 10' sheets, use 10' and 5' piece alternate joints, join between a joist with a butt board.
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...tt-joints.aspx
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mae-ling For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #9

Thats exactly what I did in the second room! Looks way better...
S.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Wouldn't you agree that is an 'important' fact? Had you told us that up front, you would have had a more accurate answer.
I thought it was obvious in that I was asking about 8 footers...

S.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

I'd love to know where people are finding 16' drywall!! I've been in this business for almost 40 years and have yet to hang (or even see) a 16' sheet. I know the did make them for a while, but the mfgr's. figured out they broke too easily on the booms when they were stocking them into the houses. A 14' is the longest sheet you can get these days to my knowledge. And a 14' sheet is probably beyond the capability of the average DIY'er. Anyway, that said, I would use a 12' sheet out of one end and 1/2 an 8' to fill in the rest. Come out of the other end with a 12' and use the other half of the 8'. Very little waste. And that's if you can get the 12's in the basement. If not go with the longest you can get in there. Just stagger the butt joints. One joist will do....
princelake (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
I'd love to know where people are finding 16' drywall!! I've been in this business for almost 40 years and have yet to hang (or even see) a 16' sheet. I know the did make them for a while, but the mfgr's. figured out they broke too easily on the booms when they were stocking them into the houses. A 14' is the longest sheet you can get these days to my knowledge. And a 14' sheet is probably beyond the capability of the average DIY'er. Anyway, that said, I would use a 12' sheet out of one end and 1/2 an 8' to fill in the rest. Come out of the other end with a 12' and use the other half of the 8'. Very little waste. And that's if you can get the 12's in the basement. If not go with the longest you can get in there. Just stagger the butt joints. One joist will do....
Thanks! I ended up using 10 foot sheets & it turned out great. Working on the walls now
S.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Drywall contractor

That's the bottom line. IT WORKED. I was suggesting 12's and 8'sbecause that's what most of the big box stores carry. Some do carry 9' and 10', (or you went to a drywall supply) Glad you were successful!!
Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp21 View Post
Next question. Big room that is 23' x 10'. I am using 2 12 footers along the first wall.
You haven't said how high your ceilings are. Have you considered hanging your boards vertically so you have no butt joints? Obviously when you cut boards to fit along a stud, the cut side would go in the corner.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
A local supplier around here stocks 16 footers in 1/2 ceiling board. Just put 6 of them onto a cathedral ceilng. No butt joints.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote