Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What kind of plaster should I use

I was looking to plaster my wall, what kind of plaster of dry mix should I use to plaster a full wall.

When I go to THD or Lowe's I find more joint compound products. I did find one product which was the DAP Plater of Paris Dry Mix, is this what I should be using to re-plaster a wall?

DIYuser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #2

When you say you are plastering an entire wall, what are you plastering over and why are you plastering over an entire wall?

spotco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 18

Applying real plaster is hardly a DIY project.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

Plastering an entire wall over what? Old plaster, new lath?
If a repair you can use durabond, joint compound, plaster of paris or straight plaster. Don't over think it, just repair the hole, use mesh tape.
If you are resurfacing an entire existing plaster wall, use a basecoat of structolite and then top with a thin coat of DB or plaster. This is not an easy project for someone who doesn't know how to use a broad knife or felt brush. Also forget what the bags say, if using structolite mix in 1/4 DB in quantity to get the structo to dry. Otherwise the structo will take a day or two to dry up.
Have you considered veneering with 1/4" drywall. This would typically be the best option for a diy.
MarkusAIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #5

I actually have created a new tool for cutting plaster but need to replicate and build a plaster wall to test cutting in it. It will have a wood lathe backing. I was having a hard time finding what type of plaster to use since drywall is such a common alternative these days.

My goal is not to cut every plaster in the market, as long as I have the general use plaster which covers what most people have in plaster homes.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusAIC View Post
Plastering an entire wall over what? Old plaster, new lath?
If a repair you can use durabond, joint compound, plaster of paris or straight plaster. Don't over think it, just repair the hole, use mesh tape.
If you are resurfacing an entire existing plaster wall, use a basecoat of structolite and then top with a thin coat of DB or plaster. This is not an easy project for someone who doesn't know how to use a broad knife or felt brush. Also forget what the bags say, if using structolite mix in 1/4 DB in quantity to get the structo to dry. Otherwise the structo will take a day or two to dry up.
Have you considered veneering with 1/4" drywall. This would typically be the best option for a diy.
DIYuser123 is offline   Reply With Quote