Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

Share |

What joint compound to use?

I am doing a small project in the basement.
I thought one small bucket might not be enough, but I certainly didn't need a large bucket. So I thought I would get two small buckets and return one if I didn't need it.

They had Sheetrock All Purpose Joint Compound (green label) and Lafarge Rapid Coat Low Dust.
The clerk said that the Sheetrock was thicker and easier to use, but the Lafarge made much less of a mess when sanding.
I bought one of each, figuring I would use the Sheetrock to tape and the Lafarge for the 2nd and 3rd coats.

I used up over half the Sheetrock bucket taping.
Should I try to finish up with that, or use the Lafarge as planned?

It is my first drywall project. The first wall is terrible and will never look good, but will be hidden by shelves. The second wall is much better and will be seen, though only be people in the basement.

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
DIY staff

Quickly---Green bucket is hard to sand---contains glue and is used to set the paper---some use it for a top coat but the sanding is very difficult--

Light weight is soft and easy to sand---no good for setting paper but good for the finish coat---

Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

The first coat probably takes as much mud as the second and third combined. I'd use up the green label and then use the LaFarge as you need to. The green stuff sands harder, but it's not a killer. Especially if you use some care when appying it. You may finish it with only the green and never have to open the LaFarge.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
automated tool pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
The first coat probably takes as much mud as the second and third combined. I'd use up the green label and then use the LaFarge as you need to. The green stuff sands harder, but it's not a killer. Especially if you use some care when appying it. You may finish it with only the green and never have to open the LaFarge.
+1
green lid wont kill you and its better mud.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #5

mud is cheap!
lafarge rapid coat is awesome mud for second and 3rd coat. it is nice and creamy and is a very nice mud to work with. it dries fast and is very easy to sand.
you can totally do the job with the green but the rapid coat is much nicer to work with and you'll be happier with the results.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #6

What about the dry mix powder. I have used the 45 minute easy sand for the whole job, did I make a mistake?
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

if you're happy with results? no misake I use USG green for all, I don't claim to be a pro, but an estimate of a million sheets hung and finished would not be a stretch
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
if you're happy with results? no misake I use USG green for all, I don't claim to be a pro, but an estimate of a million sheets hung and finished would not be a stretch
Lets see. 260 working days per year times 50 years is 13000 days. That's 77 sheets per day to reach 1,000,000 or almost 10 sheets per hour. 1 sheet hung and finished every 6 minutes.

Sounds like a load of sheet to me
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
framer52 (03-20-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #9

you can totally do the whole job with 45 but your not saving yourself any time. and the results are more likely to be poor.
if your 45 starts to set up on you when your bedding the tape it will bubble. and on your final coat i would assume you water it down more then the other coats and depending on the conditions by the end of the day the 45 still wont be fully cured for sanding. and it doesnt give you as nice of a finish and its much harder to sand.

there is no need to rush a job unless its a small patch. If you cant find the time to do the job right the first time then when are you going to find the time to fix and do the job correctly?
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
retired union carpenter

maybe your hearing is bad? 37 years 12-14 hours a day nothing but drywall. if you couldn't average it out to 5 minutes per sheet you weren't working! Sikorsky aircraft, Stamford Ct. 1000 sheets on ceiling alone 7 floors. Overlook hospital Summit NJ. 2000 sheets per floor ten floors Hyatt Regency hotel, Nashville,TN. 29 floors 2500 sheets per floor 7 W L Gore plants 6000 sheets per hundreds of houses 125-800 sheets per.

I've done jobs where we had to pay the city to close 2-3 miles of street just for tractor trailer loads of drywall do your calculating on someone else!

thank you

Last edited by coupe; 03-07-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: simply stating facts no disrespect intended
Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
DIY staff

Be nice----You all have gained skills and respect for them---let's keep it that way---Mike----
ThatDaveGuy (03-09-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #12

Not happy with the results, no. People think finishing drywall is unskilled work. I have just given up on ever being able to do a good job. Then matching texture and all that. Most of the drywall I have done has been small patch jobs that I just use that 20 minute stuff. I can move an outlet over 10 inches, cut a piece of drywall and patch it fairly quickly, but I am never happy with the results. Just hard to make money when you have to come back for a small job 3 or 4 times. I give all the patch jobs to a friend, after he is done it was like we were never there.
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
DIY staff

That is the trouble with drywall work----it is a learned skill---until you have a lot of experience--and a certain natural talent--your work will look like a beginners----

Welding is similar-----lots of practice before you are consistently good---
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
retired union carpenter

sorry Oh Mike, who decides how many wok days a year? being portrayed as a liar isn't nice without the facts.

paint, an experienced team can make money @ $12.00 per sheet, unloading,stocking house, hanging 125 sheets 52 sticks of metal corner bead, and being home in 4 1/2 hours. people moving in in 5 days
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
maybe your hearing is bad? 37 years 12-14 hours a day nothing but drywall. if you couldn't average it out to 5 minutes per sheet you weren't working! Sikorsky aircraft, Stamford Ct. 1000 sheets on ceiling alone 7 floors. Overlook hospital Summit NJ. 2000 sheets per floor ten floors Hyatt Regency hotel, Nashville,TN. 29 floors 2500 sheets per floor 7 W L Gore plants 6000 sheets per hundreds of houses 125-800 sheets per.

I've done jobs where we had to pay the city to close 2-3 miles of street just for tractor trailer loads of drywall do your calculating on someone else!

thank you
What do you consider to be a pro then?

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote