Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #1

Share |

what goes first

I'm putting drywall up in my basement and I wanted to know does it matter if I put up the walls first

jmans8666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

what goes first

Doesn't matter. In fact it is easier if you don't have the walls up first.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
Stairguy

what goes first

Some say you should always put the ceiling up first. This way if it ever starts to sag in the corner, the drywall on the wall will help support it. What I like to do is to do my top sheet on my walls first, but leave a 1/2"space in the corner the (thickness of the drywall). This way, when you do your ceiling later, you can slide the drywall in the space and the drywall on the wall will help hold it up.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #4

what goes first

Well I started to put up drywall and I put up the walls first and I realized its gonna take me forever to do it by myself so I called a guy to finish it and he wants to take down the stuff I already put up and buy new. Is this necessary? Or he just trying to get me to pay more
jmans8666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:49 AM   #5

what goes first

I will say that anytime I have come to finish a job for another handyman/homeowner, it seems inevitable that something will have to be taken down and redone. Especially with drywall.

Did he mention that he wants to do this just because it doesn't butt into the ceiling board? He may have other concerns, such as too many joints/improper use of crush edges, IE more work for him mudding.

My first guess is that he is more worried with the finished product and having a job going smoothly than creating more work and money for himself. It's never preferrable to be finishing someone else's job, for now your name is on it.

I always start with the ceilng first, just nice to have that extra support, IMO, probably less chance of cracking in the future.

Last edited by chrisBC; 05-24-2011 at 02:53 AM.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote