Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #1

Share |

What to do with drywall edges in receptacles?

The openings for my low voltage brackets are a little oversized. Plates will cover them but I want to fill around the edges with joint compound or caulk. What would you do? Would you use corner bead or tape? (Yes, it cracked under the paper.)
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with drywall edges in receptacles?-drywall-cutouts.jpg  

Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #2

Not exactly sure what you're looking for as far as advice- but if you are concerned about the exposed edges of the drywall cracking; maybe a little mud just on the inside edge to firm up the cracked areas?

If recommend mesh tape if you want to go that route- maybe stick the tape to the outside, then wrap it through the hole and stick it on the inside of the wallboard. If its going to be covered by the plate- feel free to experiment. All you need is a sponge to remove anything you add and start again.....

Bumpr1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

I going to use hot mud to prefill so I think I'll use some of it around those openings. If it's as chalky when it dries as premix then I'll prime it. But I have a while because I want to get all three parts of my drywall project to this stage so I only have to mix one batch of hot mud (hopefully).
Old 05-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
The openings for my low voltage brackets are a little oversized.
Your boxes are mounted incorrectly.
The GWB is meant to be flush to the edge of them.

A little putty, a little paint, and you too can make it what it ain't.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
Your boxes are mounted incorrectly.
The GWB is meant to be flush to the edge of them.
I don't think these brackets are made to be flush with 1/2" drywall.
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with drywall edges in receptacles?-low-voltage-brackats-2-views.jpg  
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

That is why I always go with old work boxes for LV work. You can always cut the back off of the plastic boxes, if you want something deeper, otherwise, just standard Old work's will do. The ones you have, who makes them, and where did you get them from? They are for 3/8" gypsum as you can see from your measurement.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #7

It's the Arlington LVMB1. I got a 5 pack on Amazon. They're called Vanco LVMB1 on Amazon but it says Arlington on the brackets.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #8

Maybe this is what you need http://www.lowes.com/pd_89013-81399-...ductId=3368152
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
It's the Arlington LVMB1. I got a 5 pack on Amazon. They're called Vanco LVMB1 on Amazon but it says Arlington on the brackets.
I would be removing them and sending them back for a refund, since they are not the correct ones. Unscrew the Gypsum to remove those incorrect sized ones, then use Old work LV plates in the holes after you pull those others. If you do not go with Old work LV's, just go with a four gang box across that space, then replace the wallboard, and cut it for the added size of the box. You can always cut out the back of the plastic New construction boxes with a Sawz-all, then debur with a file, or Linoleum knife.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 05-07-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
The OP does not need that. Besides, that is what extra scraps of gypsum are for. You cut larger than hole, remove from the back the paper to the size of the hole, and any gypsum, then use the front paper to hold the patch in place when you mud it.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #11

Yea it's called a hot patch. But he doesn't want to fill them in. Right ? he just wants them smaller or maybe I read the post wrong. Possible I'm tired.

Last edited by ToolSeeker; 05-07-2013 at 07:48 PM.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Yea it's called a hot patch. But he doesn't want to fill them in. Right ? he just wants them smaller or maybe I read the post wrong. Possible I'm tired.
Actually what he needs is the proper plates that are the correct depth, which the ones he got are not. If it was me, I would be shooting an email off with the same pictures he attached, including the one with the ruler placed on the outside edge, that goes into the space that the fixture is supposed to be in.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (05-08-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #13

Good to know about those patches. I think I was close enough with the cutting to get away with just hot mud. I'll have to see how strong it is.

Arlington's catalog page says the bracket "Works with 1/2" or 5/8" drywall" so it's expected that some people will have drywall exposed in front of the bracket. It doesn't really bother me (well, it does, but it won't once I patch it). The screw heads would cause that even if the bracket was 1/8" deeper. The screw slots aren't countersunk.

Last edited by Dorado; 05-07-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #14

On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time I bought something on Amazon that was an old, inferior model. I wonder if Arlington sizes them better these days. I can't tell from their website.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Sparky

its low voltage, put the plate on and forget it's there..

Techy is offline   Reply With Quote