DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

wet attic insulation and ceiling drywall

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rojas66 
#1 ·
hi. i bought a new condomium last year, april 2008. at that time the ac unit, which is installed in the attic and is also my heating unit, could not be inspected due to outside temperature. i didn't need to use the ac until july, which i ran for 4 days straight, and after which i noticed water dripping from the ceiling. the ceiling was water stained in the back bedroom, encompassing the fire alarm. i notified the contractor (building is warrantied for 1 year), who then realized that the condenser had not been set up properly because it was too cold to run when they installed it. as a result, it made water. he waited for drying to occur, adjusted the condenser, and then painted the ceiling.

this incident came up in conversation recently and i was told that the drywall and insulation should have been replaced. this advice did NOT come from an expert. but, it did leave me a little concerned. i see no signs of mold at the ceiling. i haven't been up in the attic to look since this conversation. i read something somewhere stating that attics are so warm that dampness doesn't stay and therefore water damage here isn't an issue. what do you think?

#2 ·
It is too hard to tell if it is still a problem. The only way to really tell is to get up there to see if there is still any moisture. You can also look into moisture meters. They sell them for water heaters.

#4 ·
I've had drywall on my truck and got caught in a "fluke" rainstorm. It dried out fine with no visible sign of damage or mold after a day or so. I have "applied" water to 1/4" drywall to get it bend around a radius with no ill effects. Drywall subjected to wet insulation on it for a period of time (several days/weeks) is very likely to begin molding and the backing paper often separates, taking away from the "integrity" of the product. The only way to tell, as stated above, is to get up there "amongst" it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.