Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #1

Share |

waterproof interior wall surface

I breed purebred cats and am building them a new cattery. It is a low budget project. Inside the 13 x 20' building I will need to put up some sort of wall surface that can be hosed down, sometimes with disinfectant or bleach. Unneutered males spray something awful and it is a whole new level of stench and corrosive as well. The floor will be a sealed concrete slab. I don't want liquids to seep in between the wall and floor and affect the insulation or wood inside. The pens will be 8' high. What can I use for walls and sealer?

Kattwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
DIY staff

FRP panels (fiberglass reinforced plastic) would be cheap and easy with rubber cove base it the floor.

They are used in restaurant kitchens and rest rooms. Menards sells them along with the H and J channels.

Ceramic tile is an option---although more costly---

Old 09-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #3

Mike. I looked at that at home depot. We don't have those other places in Arkansas. I'll check on the availability--if they don't have it if they can order it. Looks like nice stuff and should meet my needs. I will definitely check into this. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
DIY staff

I've done a few commercial kitchens. Glad to help.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #5

My next question is how do you seal the junctures between sheets? And how do I seal where the sheets meet the floor? I don't want water, chemicals and pee getting in behind to the insulation and wall studs, etc.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #6

FRP is the only way to go. I've been installing it in commercial kitchens for decades and never had one complaint. You can steam clean it too if you need to sterilize the environment. Here's Marlites installation guide.
http://www.marlite.com/frp-trim-and-installation.aspx

You'll find this product in any Whataburger, TGI Fridays, Burger King, and most all national chain restaurants. Home Depot carrys it here locally in white only. It's available in colors.
TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrapperL For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-06-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

There are pieces to use between sheets, on inside and outside corners, etc. any areas you're concerned with "moisture" getting in can be sealed with silicone caulk. The HD's and Lowes in our area carry the panels, shouldn't be a special order...
Old 09-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #8

What sheets are you referring to? Silicone calking doesn't work. I tried that in the old cattery trailer. There were sheets of some sort of plastic on the walls and floors of the cages. I tried white silicon calking and it came up. The cats didn't help. When they found out they could loosen it, it was all over. I think some of it might have been eaten as I never found all of the pieces. That couldn't have been good for them. So if I use silicon it will have to be under something nailed down. This plastic stuff is about an 8th of an inch thick and needs no plywood or other backing. Wish I knew what it was called, and how expensive it is. It does stain. It is white and there are brownish stains. I have tried to get rid of them to no avail, but I can live with a few stains. I'm the 3rd cat breeder to own that cat trailer. Thank you all for your time in answering my questions.f
Old 09-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

I was referring to the FRP panels. Use the specified trim pieces for corners, joints, etc. but a thin layer of clear silicone should seal any minor "gaps" at the joints. Shouldn't be applied thick enough for the cats to even notice, let alone "claw out". As Mike pointed out, out the product is commonly used in commercial kitchen/bath applications, so it should suit your needs....

Last edited by bjbatlanta; 09-11-2011 at 07:24 PM.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote