Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

water damaged ceiling

I had a small leak of water from a valve in my bathroom: after a week or so the water has slightly stained a zone in the celing below~ 1 square foot. The paint or coating on the ceiling is off white and it is textured. I plan to remove a sample from the surface of the ceiling below and have it color matched at the Home Depot and then repaint the affected part of the ceiling.

I would welcome suggestions on the best way to remove part of the ceiling surface. The surface area needed is~ size of a quarter (25 c coin).

Thank you,
Angus

angusmdmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
DIY staff

water damaged ceiling

If you remove a slice of the paint and texture you will have a devil of a time fixing it----

A thin razor blade will do it---but the paint patch will show anyway because of the existing paint changing from time.--

wouldn't you be better off painting the entire ceiling?

Old 08-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

water damaged ceiling

You are going to have to prime the stain with a stain blocking primer and paint the whole ceiling, you will never get it to match right, especially from the depot
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-30-2013), ToolSeeker (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #4

water damaged ceiling

Thank you for your insight: yes; I may well have to paint the entire ceiling probably with a roller. The area in question is the hallway ceiling , but there are no doors between the rooms. The entire house has this texture paint. To the left of the hallway as you go in the house is the living room, to the right is the family room and the kitchen is at the back aand left of the hallway.

angus
Old 08-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #5

water damaged ceiling

You may get your sample if you take down the decorative fixture from a ceiling fan or light the sample needs to be about the size of a quarter
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #6

water damaged ceiling

Thanks: I am thinking along these lines. Or behind some curtains below the curtain rod. {The idea is to get the color close to the original}. Then the problem will be patching the quarter size piece. There is Primer- Patch paste from 3M that I have used. And I am thinking to use that. Any comment?

I have just reviewed the post from the fellow fixing the hole in the drywall. So many people in my area using glasssfibre glass tape with jointing compond for dry wall joints. I thought the tape seemed like a good idea to me. At an ealier date I did some dry wall jolints and I used tape. Later I found out about the glass fibre mesh was availabe and considered I should have definitely used that!

I have filled a hole ~ 4" in 1/2" Durock cement board with thinset cement (modified with acyrylic emulsion) and then used mesh tape over the surface. That dried very strong.

Angus

Last edited by angusmdmclean; 08-30-2013 at 07:13 PM.