DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   water damaged ceiling (

angusmdmclean 08-30-2013 10:25 AM

water damaged ceiling
I had a small leak of water from a valve in my bathroom: after a week or so the water has slightly stained a zone in the celing below~ 1 square foot. The paint or coating on the ceiling is off white and it is textured. I plan to remove a sample from the surface of the ceiling below and have it color matched at the Home Depot and then repaint the affected part of the ceiling.

I would welcome suggestions on the best way to remove part of the ceiling surface. The surface area needed is~ size of a quarter (25 c coin).

Thank you,

oh'mike 08-30-2013 03:40 PM

If you remove a slice of the paint and texture you will have a devil of a time fixing it----

A thin razor blade will do it---but the paint patch will show anyway because of the existing paint changing from time.--

wouldn't you be better off painting the entire ceiling?

chrisn 08-30-2013 04:39 PM

You are going to have to prime the stain with a stain blocking primer and paint the whole ceiling, you will never get it to match right, especially from the depot:no:

angusmdmclean 08-30-2013 05:22 PM

Thank you for your insight: yes; I may well have to paint the entire ceiling probably with a roller. The area in question is the hallway ceiling , but there are no doors between the rooms. The entire house has this texture paint. To the left of the hallway as you go in the house is the living room, to the right is the family room and the kitchen is at the back aand left of the hallway.


ToolSeeker 08-30-2013 05:41 PM

You may get your sample if you take down the decorative fixture from a ceiling fan or light the sample needs to be about the size of a quarter

angusmdmclean 08-30-2013 07:10 PM

Thanks: I am thinking along these lines. Or behind some curtains below the curtain rod. {The idea is to get the color close to the original}. Then the problem will be patching the quarter size piece. There is Primer- Patch paste from 3M that I have used. And I am thinking to use that. Any comment?

I have just reviewed the post from the fellow fixing the hole in the drywall. So many people in my area using glasssfibre glass tape with jointing compond for dry wall joints. I thought the tape seemed like a good idea to me. At an ealier date I did some dry wall jolints and I used tape. Later I found out about the glass fibre mesh was availabe and considered I should have definitely used that!

I have filled a hole ~ 4" in 1/2" Durock cement board with thinset cement (modified with acyrylic emulsion) and then used mesh tape over the surface. That dried very strong.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1