DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   water damage remove mold & repair or replace drywall (

homerepair1 02-22-2009 07:57 AM

water damage remove mold & repair or replace drywall
I have bought an old house. Recently (past 3 months) had water damage surrounding an old chimney that runs through the house, but fire place has long been removed from the house (i.e. chimney is covered by plaster wall). The upstairs of the house was extremely humid when we were running our heat during cold days/nights. Come to find out, our gas exhaust pipe was connected to the chimney. The chimney has long been sealed, so basically we had a steam sauna in our chimney. The water was leaking from the sides of the chimney into the walls. We have remedied this problem by installing an electric heat pump down stairs and venting the upstairs gas exhaust (from the upstairs unit) through the roof. We have removed the seal from the chimney and installed a chimney cap.

At any rate we have had the plaster wall exposed, removed wallpaper found mold and removed mold. The wall feels dry. In another room that is an addition to home and dry wall, I just recently found out that behind the paint the wall is damp and there were small spots of mold.

Can the dry wall dry out if it is left exposed? Should I cut out a small area and look into the wall. This was was never directly connected to the chimney.

Has anyone ever used an enviornmental company to find mold and remove it.

I am very novice in the area of construction and am looking for advice.

We have eliminated the moisture problem, that I am sure.

Ron6519 02-22-2009 08:45 AM

You're lucky you didn't die of carbon monoxide poisoning.
I would open the damp wall to investigate the cavity. If it's only surface mold, I would continue to open the wall until I exposed the whole effected area. If it's severe mold, I would seal it back up and call a professional company to deal with it.
Your house insurance might cover the cost of mold remediation. But before I involved them, I would find out the extent of the issue.

Termite 02-22-2009 10:00 AM

Any company that specializes in the removal or cleaning of mold will cost three times what the reasonable rate ought to be. Personally, I'd get a dumpster and a respirator and go to work.

You can buy chemicals to kill mold and clean the more permanent surfaces (studs, concrete, whatever).

New sheetrock would be the way I'd go. Once wallboard or plaster has been wet it has been degraded somewhat.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1