Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

wallpaper directly on drywall best removal

(If this thread has already been posted I apologize, I read back for a while but there are a ton of threads, which is good this is an active board.)

So I'm a new homeowner, but I have a lot of re-molding job with my father in the past. I'm not up on terminology so please bear with me.

My downstairs bathroom was apparently not primed/painted prior to wallpaper being hung. I started removing it using Duff before I realized I was actually taking the drywall paper down with the wallpaper. I finished removing the wallpaper as best as I could but I have an extremely uneven surface. The wallpaper adhesive has bonded to the surface of the drywall and getting it wet anymore will cause a failure in the exterior paper holding the sheet rock in. I am trying to figure out which route here I should go:

a. start applying compound and sanding to smooth out the surface
b. hire a professional that can some how remove the adhesive layer of wallpaper from the drywall
c. rip down the ruined dry wall and just start from the studs and hang new dry wall

I think it is a function of a. will take a ton of time, b. might not be something that can be done or it is very expensive, and c. might just be the most feasible option.

Thoughts and professional opinions appreciated.

SuzanneCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,248

C, no doubt.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

This is the exact reason why I am hardly hanging any wall paper, someone was just to damn lazy to take a half hour to prime the walls.
Anyway, get some Gardz, apply to the mess you have,sand the rough stuff, skim it out, sand, clean , do it all agin , prime and paint. You can use the Gardz as a primer or get a quality pigmented one.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
SuzanneCD (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
This is the exact reason why I am hardly hanging any wall paper, someone was just to damn lazy to take a half hour to prime the walls.
Anyway, get some Gardz, apply to the mess you have,sand the rough stuff, skim it out, sand, clean , do it all agin , prime and paint. You can use the Gardz as a primer or get a quality pigmented one.
Just spent a week doing this very thing and that is exactly the way it must be done. the only thing I will add is when you are looking for your drywall mud to skim-coat with, try to find the ultra lite weight. It has the kinda puke green colored lid. Not the dark green lid, that's all purpose. The ultra is really light and easy to sand whice makes it very good for skimming and you don't need to thin it just mix it and use it. Hope this helps.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
SuzanneCD (11-17-2012)

Tags
drywall, wallpaper removal