Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

wall texture over drywall

I want to put texture on my walls. Not wallpaper. The wet texture that comes in buckets. I am not sure if texture is the right word.

sbeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #2

How do you texture a wall. I want to texture over the stuff on the wall.

sbeth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 146

That's the right word but really think about doing it long and hard before doing it.
There's been hundreds of people asking how to remove texture on this site to 1, asking how to apply it.
It's a pain to paint, near impossible to repair without it showing.
Texture can be apply anyone of a hundred differant ways.
May want to check on You Tube there's dozen of differant methods shown with vidios on how to do it.
You could also Google drywall texture pictures to take a look at dozens of differant styles.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
user1007 (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If you decide to proceed, I would round up some drywall scraps or invest in a sheet for experimentation. Prime the surface.

Then, as Joe suggests, their are many ways to texture. You can trowel on Venetian plaster like texture. You can spray on knockdown texture. There are texture and pattern rollers. There are cans of texture, texture additives (washed sand is a simple one), and the list goes on. You can even pump texture through cake decorating tips for some interesting effects. Or, cast medallions and details. It can be fun but can get away from you and look really tacky, really fast.

Once done, make sure you write down the formula for the technique you like and the corresponding material mix and proportions. Prime your work. And apply finish to make sure you still like your experimental sample. Remember that texture defects will show up more when painted and especially with higher gloss finishes. Texture adds surface area and therefore more places for dirt, dust, kitchen grease, bathroom algae, etc. to stick.

If you are happy and want to proceed? Transfer your formula and technique to your actual walls and ceilings. Work in sections rather than trying to do too much at one time.

Always keep your mixed texture separate from the original materials and buy extra plastic buckets if you need to do so. You will pollute good material working in original cans and buckets and depending on what you use? You may render leftovers useless since the material settled to the bottom may be too heavy to stir.

As Joe suggests. Think this through. This site is really laden with threads posted by people trying to get rid of texture. Many more are trying to figure out how somebody achieved a texture so if you do this, leave the next owners a note somewhere.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 58

As said there are many different types of textures there are 3 different sizes of knockdown, there are 3 different sizes of orange peel and all the ones mentioned above. And most of them are NOT diy friendly. I know some parts of the country are still doing a lot of texture, I would check in your area first to see what is being done adding texture or removing it. If I'm correct about what you said about a bucket, that has be thinned, then you nee a compressor, air hoses, a hopper, and the tip.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
automated tool pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeth1 View Post
I want to put texture on my walls. Not wallpaper. The wet texture that comes in buckets. I am not sure if texture is the right word.
you may be thinking of Venetian Plaster...check the faux section at home depot...not lowes...

http://www.firmolux.com/firmolux-gal...plaster-photos

drywallfinisher is offline   Reply With Quote