Wall And Ceiling Textures - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 151

wall and ceiling textures

Here is a general question about wall textures. Why do they exist?

Some walls/ceilings will have a very mild/rough pattern of textures while others have no texture at all, it's just a flat, smooth wall. What purpose do the textured walls have? Why is this texture needed?

I hate textured ceilings/walls. Thought about scraping it all off but figured it was there for a reason. Plus if I decided to scrape it all off, I can be making ore work for myself than what its worth.

Advertisement

crankbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Just a quick photo would help. By texture ceiling do you mean popcorn? If it's a standard knockdown texture you don't even want to attempt to scrape it off. If you want the smooth wall look what you would do is put a thin layer of joint compound over it to smooth it out which can be quite a difficult task if you have no experience with sheetrock finishing. The textured look semi hides the imperfections that a smooth wall has, and it is just the style now. To me it is just a preference thing.

Advertisement

CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 151

Yes I was referring to the popcorn texture. I notice that some ceilings have texture which looks like water drops that come down to a sharp point.......

but either way, I figured it was a preference thing. I don't care for them but don;t think it's worth removing.....not up to that task.

thanks for the input
crankbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I absolutely hate popcorn ceilings. And a lot of them for that era ,actually can contain asbestos. I scrape them always if given the options. Really isn't that hard to do if ya want to tackle it.
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankbait09 View Post
Here is a general question about wall textures. Why do they exist?

Some walls/ceilings will have a very mild/rough pattern of textures while others have no texture at all, it's just a flat, smooth wall. What purpose do the textured walls have? Why is this texture needed?

I hate textured ceilings/walls. Thought about scraping it all off but figured it was there for a reason. Plus if I decided to scrape it all off, I can be making ore work for myself than what its worth.

To answer your question. Texture is a cost saver so the contractor can get a house finished quicker and the finishers dont have to make the walls look perfect. It hides imperfections in the finishing joints that are left due to the cost saving. if you remove the existing textures you have to redo the finishing to achieve the new look that you will want. You have lots of options to change the look. it sounds like you also have a stipple texture as well by mentioning the sharp points.

this forum offers lots of advice on the matter. my advice it to spend money and hire a professional especially if you hate textures on the wall.